Women in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Quite so, in hindsight then do you think the problem arose because of being a novice or female ?

[ I bet the answer will be a female novice]

Probably a bit of both. Me being a novice and the salesman automatically thinking I only want a hybrid.

Shadowfax

Exactly as in say the motor trade or consumer electronics (or other areas that men think women don't understand). Staff should try to be helpful if customers (of either gender) have limited knowledge and not take advantage to say shift whatever crap has been lying around for too long even if it isn't what they actually want/need/should buy

Second rant over :wacko:
It doesn't work like that though, sales are paid to sell stuff especially the crap ! The good stuff sells itself. Jeez.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes. I expect it is, but it seems even worse when there are only men there, and your thinking that they will think your a muppet and they will, be able to sell you any pile of junk. and of course thats exactly what happens in a certain number of cases
As I said not female specific even though it may seem so to you.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I was trying to think of a mainstream sport where the women's version is as popular if not more so than the men's as a spectator sport, and thus marketing/advertising opportunity.

Tennis
Golf to a lesser extent

I wonder what it is about tennis that has led to the women's version being at least as popular as the men's? They seem to have got it just right. Massive interest, massive audiences, massive money. But then you look at the other sports; football, cricket, cycling etc. l only other major sports I can think of are athletics and swimming with high profile women's versions. But there's not much money in either of those anyway.

Shadowfax

I was trying to think of a mainstream sport where the women's version is as popular if not more so than the men's as a spectator sport, and thus marketing/advertising opportunity.

Tennis
Golf to a lesser extent

I wonder what it is about tennis that has led to the women's version being at least as popular as the men's? They seem to have got it just right. Massive interest, massive audiences, massive money. But then you look at the other sports; football, cricket, cycling etc. l only other major sports I can think of are athletics and swimming with high profile women's versions. But there's not much money in either of those anyway.
Equestrian.

My other sport... and you think women are taken advantage of in cycling, you ain't seen nothing.

vickster

Legendary Member
Women's swimming is probably as popular, ditto gymnastics

Prefer the men's versions, again probably not driven by a love of the sport :whistle:

Shadowfax

And it's the only sport I can think of where the sex of the rider (and the horse) is irrelevant.
Indeed, however it is prohibitive to many for other reasons.
Which many would regard as unfair in a similar vein though not based on sex.

vickster

Legendary Member
Indeed, however it is prohibitive to many for other reasons.
Which many would regard as unfair in a similar vein though not based on sex.

Most sports are to a degree elitist until you get to the top of your game and sponsorship roles in

I would think football is actually the one that is least so (although you may still need a parent to ferry you around and what not)

The horsey stuff must be the worst due to the cost of actually having the horse! Along with yachting and serious motorsport.

Shadowfax

Far to involved to go into here, but not having a clue and having a child interested in eqestrian is a minefield.

Not only is it expensive but dangerous as well, the surest way to get fleeced I know of.

Edit; after fleecing hubby that is, Now how much was that dressage saddle I wanted ?

Smile.

Tennis
Golf to a lesser extent

Tennis is an example of the problem. The best paid players are not the best players, but the most attractive ones.

With women's sport (generally) it's sex that sells.

Top Bottom