Women in cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And it's the only sport I can think of where the sex of the rider (and the horse) is irrelevant.

There's another one: shooting. And that's when it gets interesting ....

Shooting used to be open in the olympics, so men and women competed against each other. In 1976 a woman got a silver. It was only a matter of time before a woman beat all the men and got a gold. Obviously such a disaster must be avoided! By 1984, they split shooting into separate men's and women's competitions.

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe if you like that sort of thing

Certainly not the case with the men, Nadal, Murray, Sampras, McEnroe xx(

(OK Federer is cute and has luverly legs) :wub:

Shadowfax

There's another one: shooting. And that's when it gets interesting ....

Shooting used to be open in the olympics, so men and women competed against each other. In 1976 a woman got a silver. It was only a matter of time before a woman beat all the men and got a gold. Obviously such a disaster must be avoided! By 1984, they split shooting into separate men's and women's competitions.
Why has it not been done in equestrian ?

s7ephanie

middle of nowhere in France
My point being that judging how well women are catered for in cycle shops by looking at the number of step-through bikes on sale is not very instructive. The only step-through bikes I see being ridden are being used by old people, who make up a very small percentage of the cycling public. Most women I know would sneer at the idea of riding a step-through.

I take your general point about the way female cyclists are treated as a bit of an afterthought in some places............but I would say that I think enormous strides are being made.
OLD people !!!!!!:ninja::gun:

vickster

Legendary Member
A bit OT, but where are all the car sales places selling women-specific cars? It's very annoying when you're smaller than the average person, because trying to find a car that isn't designed for an average male driver is almost impossible. Just saying.
Or not a car bigger than a city car with any oomph...

Why has it not been done in equestrian ?
No idea, but women were first allowed to compete in 1952, and immediately someone got silver. Different era, different sporting association. Hard to say. I personally hate the olympics (yeah, I know. Sorry), so I am not up to date with the intricacies of the different sporting associations that are involved.

(It would not surprise me that men involved with shooting are more afraid of being "beaten by a girl" than male equestrians)

Top Bottom