Work self-appraisal form -help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
The background to to is that the company I've worked for since2004 was sold at the start of the year. They gave me a new contract which had a small payrise but in every other way worse terms than my original one. It also wiped out my previous employment history so I can't claim redundancy should they want rid of me and despite doing the job for 11years put me back on a probationary period. They've also changed the way we operate to what I feel is less efficient and poorly organised.

Now it's time for my appraisal and I've been given what I feel is a piece of rope to hang myself. I've never had to fill anything like this out before,there are pages of it all asking questions I have no real answer for. I've struggled with depression and loneliness for years, I have reached a point where I just live from day to day, I want to concentrate on my mental health, building social confidence, making friends, getting fitter, losing weight, improving my diet and i have zero interest in my job beyond turning up, doing what I have to do and going home. I'm just bored with, I don't like the way the company is managed since the take over and my only real career objective is to find a different job, preferably in a completely different field. I don't like the company at all either.

So now I have this form asking me where I see myself in five years, have I achieved my objectives for the past six months, what do I think are the good things about working for the company, etc, etc being asked to rate myself on a 1 - 10 scale in dozens of different areas and I just don't know how to answer any of it. I can't can't be truthful as it definitely wouldn't be what they want to hear, yet making up a load of lies to lick the arse of someone I don't like is not something that comes naturally to me so I don't even know how to lie my way through it!

And it just makes me question the pointlessness of something like this as an unhappy employee like me won't tell the truth for fear of repercussions and even if they did, people tend not to like criticism so won't take it and act on it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Crap like that !makes me spit, existing only to keep HR people in a job.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I feel for you!

I would be exactly the same. You are being forced into a corner so don't concern yourself too much with being 100% up front and honest. Within reason, write what they want to read, just don't tell porkies for personal gain.

I would be inclined to say that you don't really think 5 years ahead, you achieved what you were supposed to achieve over the past 6 months. Give yourself safe, non-bragging marks of 6-8 out of 10. Make up something nice to say about the company - you get on well with your colleagues (if you do), and so on ...

And when you have finished shut yourself away somewhere and have a good rant to yourself and then forget about it!

snorri

Legendary Member
Difficult indeed, a terrible predicament, no way of knowing if they would respect you for being honest, or if they want to hear some sort of **** about your experience of working for a progressive company.:sad:

I hate these self appraisal forms. All I write in the boxes is that I believe I have done, whatever the title of the box says. For example, the box title is something like "Quality and quantity" I'll write something like, "I believe I have produced accurate results, met all deadlines, and done my fair share of the workload given to my department". I got a bollocking this year for putting "doing what I've been doing for the last 15 years, I reckon" when I answered the eponymous "What do you see yourself doing in 3 years time?" question. I actually decided to change it from my original answer, "Your missus".

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Did you have objectives set 6 months ago? If not, you can't comment on whether you've achieved them or not. The company needs to play it's part in this.

I think most places have this sort of system now. It's probably good for people who are trying to forge a career but a pain for the rest of us. I've reached the point where I tend to say "I'm here to do the best I can but I'm not interested in promotion." We've now been told we have to have a personal development plan - I don't think they'll be impressed by my plans to learn to draw, do more cycling & bird-watching and various crafts.

Wobblers

Euthermic
The background to to is that the company I've worked for since2004 was sold at the start of the year. They gave me a new contract which had a small payrise but in every other way worse terms than my original one. It also wiped out my previous employment history so I can't claim redundancy should they want rid of me and despite doing the job for 11years put me back on a probationary period. They've also changed the way we operate to what I feel is less efficient and poorly organised.

Hmmm. Is that even legal? Would this company that's taken over be US by any chance? It might be worthwhile getting advice from from someone who knows employment law - Citizen's Advice or ACAS? - over this.

As for the appraisal, well while it can feel like you're signing your own death warrant, that's not necessarily the case. It most likely will be assessed by someone who scarcely knows you, if at all. You could say anything! Well... not anything, don't lie. But there is absolutely no reason why you can't, or indeed shouldn't, spin things in the most possible light. Met all your targets in the last 6 months? Hell, yes! If you managed to steer nine out of the last ten projects into the corporate tar pits, no need to mention them, just the one project that went well...

Okay, that sounds a little cynical, and I'm being just a little tongue in cheek. But if the purpose of this appraisal's to give them an excuse to get rid of you, that motive is more than cynical - it's fundamentally crooked. Don't give them that excuse. Put all your answers in the most positive light you can. So, yes, you did achieve your targets, and give them the evidence. The "where you see yourself in five years time" question is more tricky, as you've got to try and guess what sort of answer they're looking for, and that depends on what plans they have for the company (if any). Perhaps the safest bet is say that you wish to progress to a position of more responsibility (even if it is pure BS).

Anyway, good luck!

MarkF

Guru
OMG that sounds horrible, you don't want to work there so whilst you are, just tell them what they want to hear. It always worked for me when I was an employee.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I've just remembered how much I DON'T miss having a "career", with all the associated BS in the form of self assessments, PDP's, targets, objectives and whatever else.
Become a lorry driver and they are quite happy as long as you turn up for work.

Top Bottom