Worrying times.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
The need to apportion blame for every unsatisfactory aspect of life to politics or personal attitudes that you don't agree with, seems to act as a powerful gravitational force for many threads, however innocent they start off.

Yes it's probs best we don't ever speculate on the causes of anything from now on.

All of it just kind of mysteriously occurs, or doesn't for no discernable reason.

Like we're all just drifting about in our own personal vacuums, unaffected by outside influences..

No cause or effect , it all just kind of 'happens'.

🤔

I would have to disagree with you and feel you unwittingly protect yourself by shopping at Aldi. We use Aldi for the bulk of our shopping and throughout lockdown didn't experience any shortages, queues etc. However our local Tesco and Sainsbury were the complete opposite. Tesco in particular handled lockdown very, very badly with huge queues and significant shortages.

If you visited our local Aldi and Tesco today you will find Aldi well stocked and Tesco has acres of empty space. I think this must be an indication of which is the better managed company.

The shortages are real and far from blown out of proportion. Whether the items which are short represent a crisis is a different story.
This is typical of big businesses that secure inventory at short notice. It's something first started by Japanese Automotive giants and rapidly swept across big business where they provide order projections but actually don't place the order so no payment is committed. Because they are big, it goes into millions. They use their muscles.

Aldi is famous for its supply chain management plus the trust they built with their staff and suppliers. Remember Tesco management inflated their accounts and dragged in some of their suppliers.

Merlin - Madison - Shimano is another case in point. So Merlin is ahead. The opposite example is Ribble.

Last edited:

presta

Guru
You make your own luck in adult life, so don't whittle about where your own life choices have left you.
In a world where everyone gets a degree, someone still has to clean toilets, stack shelves, and pick litter. The philosophy of the meritocracy denies that to a very large extent the economy is a zero-sum game: yes, anyone can become Prime Minister, but only at the expense of the other 66,999,999 who don't.
An example of this would be what economists call the winner takes all effect, professor Robert Frank illustrates this with the music industry. A century or so ago, each town of any size would have a music hall along with its resident performers, some were bit better than others, but there was enough work for thousands of them to make a comfortable living. Then along comes recording technology. Now everyone in the country has access to the work of the top-notch performers, so that's what they all buy, and before you know it there's a small handful of artists who become fabulously wealthy, whilst all the music halls close, and everyone else is reduced to singing in pubs for beer money.
Of course the economy has grown, because everyone gets to listen to more and cheaper music, but wealth isn't measured in absolute terms. Nobody who's struggling to pay the rent and feed the kids will regard themselves as wealthy because they're better off than their ancestors who lived in a cave. Wealth is relative, because people compare themselves to their peers, and also to the wealth they see flaunted on TV. And that matters a great deal, because status is strongly linked to both morbidity and mortality, even relatively well-off civil servants suffer worse health if their position is low status.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
In a world where everyone gets a degree, someone still has to clean toilets, stack shelves, and pick litter. The philosophy of the meritocracy denies that to a very large extent the economy is a zero-sum game: yes, anyone can become Prime Minister, but only at the expense of the other 66,999,999 who don't.
An example of this would be what economists call the winner takes all effect, professor Robert Frank illustrates this with the music industry. A century or so ago, each town of any size would have a music hall along with its resident performers, some were bit better than others, but there was enough work for thousands of them to make a comfortable living. Then along comes recording technology. Now everyone in the country has access to the work of the top-notch performers, so that's what they all buy, and before you know it there's a small handful of artists who become fabulously wealthy, whilst all the music halls close, and everyone else is reduced to singing in pubs for beer money.
Of course the economy has grown, because everyone gets to listen to more and cheaper music, but wealth isn't measured in absolute terms. Nobody who's struggling to pay the rent and feed the kids will regard themselves as wealthy because they're better off than their ancestors who lived in a cave. Wealth is relative, because people compare themselves to their peers, and also to the wealth they see flaunted on TV. And that matters a great deal, because status is strongly linked to both morbidity and mortality, even relatively well-off civil servants suffer worse health if their position is low status.

1632239992259.png

I guess Virginians are diligent, hard working types to a man, whereas West Virginians are all slackers and feckless losers.

(With all due apologies, but it's quite hard to entirely bypass politics in a thread about the worrying times we live in.)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It is not just food and fuel shortages which loom large for understandable reasons.
I want a scythe for cutting back general vegetation as well as my wildflower bit.
It took a long time to find anyone with a suitable one for sale. Lots advertised but nothing in stock.
One wanted nearly £15 carriage from English midlands but I got one in the end for a similar price with free carriage.
All sorts of things are now getting hard to find.

I live in an area where I expect to get at least 10mpg less than on mainland and the price of fuel is 10p per litre more than mainland. Unfortunately I need a car as I live at the top of a long steep hill and cannot walk far. Cycling down is ok but climbing up is just too much for my aged legs.
Just the price of what used to be before staycations a nice place to live.

That's what a "pay per mile" system should compensate for, because your payments per mile to go shopping and visit the doctor would be lower than those for someone helping to congest/pollute central Birmingham when they have a choice of train/tram/bus/bike instead.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I think that's probs me too

Feet on the ground, head dreaming in the clouds of how it could all be so much better.

It really does help, your mood, if you lift your breast bone, and look up :rolleyes: though

Even raise your arms in the air
-assuming yr not on a bike right now :blush:

It opens your lungs, and lifts your heart

And it's free for everyone :smile:
Free for everyone AT THE MOMENT:rolleyes:.
How long before we are taxed for each breath we take :sad:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It is not just food and fuel shortages which loom large for understandable reasons.
I want a scythe for cutting back general vegetation as well as my wildflower bit.
It took a long time to find anyone with a suitable one for sale. Lots advertised but nothing in stock.
One wanted nearly £15 carriage from English midlands but I got one in the end for a similar price with free carriage.

Did you try the Austrian scythe guy

I'm considering getting a few in lamb ewes , to keep down woolier areas, around the place.

It seems a bit wasteful to keep mowing when something could be eating it .

I'd like to get a breed that would do for both milk and meat.

And trial a sort of micro scale lamb at foot dairying system.

But I'll need to check availability of solid, and electric fencing materials too .

They're not abundant either...

Free for everyone AT THE MOMENT:rolleyes:.
How long before we are taxed for each breath we take :sad:

Oh do stop being such a drama queen -

Dave dear..:tongue:

classic33

Leg End Member
You should have asked!
I know of two places nearby me where they can be purchased. Granted, walking through a city center with one can make some feel nervous.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
How can it be £37 a month ? Surely you use more in winter when it's colder and nights are longer ?

I think most people pay the same but build up a credit that the winter use will eat up ?
I am very lucky and have a flat surrounded by others that use heating and the building is well insulated. I don't use a TV or have internet. I also use candles as I like them. Main use of power is the cooker when I use it I think. All electrickery here.

Milzy

Guru
The future looks bleak. Petrol shortages coming this week, empty shelves in shops, big increase in energy prices and food, government planning to charge per mile motoring and who knows what else.
I am getting very concerned and wondering if both of our pensions will be able to cope with it all. Worrying times indeed.
Don’t listen to the news it’s all a load of B.S. I think we should buy E.V’s now anyway. I don’t eat much food. I think charging per mile is a great idea but will never happen.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You should have asked!
I know of two places nearby me where they can be purchased. Granted, walking through a city center with one can make some feel nervous.
When I worked as a gardener for a local nursery I was sent to clear gardens at houses for sale with overgrown gardens. I got the bus from Helensburgh to Garelochhead several times with a full size scythe with a bit of sacking round the blade. Nobody batted an eye.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Did you try the Austrian scythe guy

I'm considering getting a few in lamb ewes , to keep down woolier areas, around the place.

It seems a bit wasteful to keep mowing when something could be eating it .

I'd like to get a breed that would do for both milk and meat.

And trial a sort of micro scale lamb at foot dairying system.

But I'll need to check availability of solid, and electric fencing materials too .

They're not abundant either...

Oh do stop being such a drama queen -

Dave dear..:tongue:
Pretty sure I did try everyone but on looking they had none in stock of the one I wanted.
My wildlife pal borrows a few sheep and cattle alternately to clear his back field. He used to keep a few sheep but has given up on that now.

Top Bottom