Worrying times.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
When I worked as a gardener for a local nursery I was sent to clear gardens at houses for sale with overgrown gardens. I got the bus from Helensburgh to Garelochhead several times with a full size scythe with a bit of sacking round the blade. Nobody batted an eye.
You should have stared at someone with a deadpan face, wearing a hooded cape and pointed at them!

It's what they voted for...
Working out OK for me and everyone else I talk to so must be just the 'they's ' you know, or on social media obviously.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Pretty sure I did try everyone but on looking they had none in stock of the one I wanted.
My wildlife pal borrows a few sheep and cattle alternately to clear his back field. He used to keep a few sheep but has given up on that now.

I'm ambivalent about the whole idea of getting more livestock Tbh.

But my sheep keeping is long enough in the past now, that I've almost forgotten what a nuisance they can be ..

And I do like ewes milk :smile:

Working out OK for me and everyone else I talk to so keep your 'they's' to yourself.

Hush with the politics now shep -

- not here :okay:

We're talking sheep ok..??

A century or so ago, each town of any size would have a music hall along with its resident performers, some were bit better than others, but there was enough work for thousands of them to make a comfortable living. Then along comes recording technology. Now everyone in the country has access to the work of the top-notch performers, so that's what they all buy, and before you know it there's a small handful of artists who become fabulously wealthy, whilst all the music halls close, and everyone else is reduced to singing in pubs for beer money.

This is a good point and a powerful argument for local authorities to support arts venues. Of course it would help if the people thus being subsidised were required to make material that appeals to ordinary people instead of other artistic intellectual types, so that the arts really served their community...

In a world where everyone gets a degree, someone still has to clean toilets, stack shelves, and pick litter. The philosophy of the meritocracy denies that to a very large extent the economy is a zero-sum game: yes, anyone can become Prime Minister, but only at the expense of the other 66,999,999 who don't.

To avoid this very real problem a system designed for equality of opportunity must be based around education, and designed to help individuals thrive and support themselves. Otherwise it stops becoming a meritocracy but success by Fiat*. This is where sadly a lot of the left wing of politics frequently miss the point. Hold up one definition of success as the ideal, which as you say creates a zero sum game and is also damaging because individuals make different choices: 67 million people don't want to become prime minister. These 67 million people all want to do different things and need help to achieve their choices

Secondly, and most dangerously, some people on the left politics insist on equality of outcome, rather then equality of opportunity, so having decided on an "ideal" outcome they then try to make it easier for approved people to achieve it, so the "right" groups among the 67 million people who "should" want to be prime minister actually have a greater opportunity.

This is politely known as corruption: giving people opportunities above other people without giving them responsibility.

Equality of opportunity is also better for people in the long run because it means individuals have assistance but that ultimately they need to take responsibility.

When training refugees I have a variety of tools available to assist them: we have assistance in language training, access to psychological help; we can give our own practical training in use of tools and materials and assistance in making a CV and a covering letter. We help them get to an interview, and arrange for an internship insured and supervised by us.

What we can't do is impose quotas. Employers are in no way obliged to take our clients on, and this is important because it's fairer on other people applying for work, but more importantly it means the responsibility is the client's: they have to make the choice of what they want to do, and take the steps to get there.

We have to aim for equal opportunities, not equality of outcome.

*I'm sure that has a name ending in "ocracy" but I confess I don't know what it is. So much for trying to sound smart.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I'm ambivalent about the whole idea of getting more livestock Tbh.

But my sheep keeping is long enough in the past now, that I've almost forgotten what a nuisance they can be ..

And I do like ewes milk :smile:

Hush with the politics now shep -

- not here :okay:

We're talking sheep ok..??
My pal just borrows them for long enough to keep the grass in check. They are not his and some of his contacts have little grazing anyway and are glad to get somewhere for them for a few weeks.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Did you try the Austrian scythe guy
My mum just bought one of those.

I hope you wore a black cloak!

No, that's @classic33...

Did you try the Austrian scythe guy

I'm considering getting a few in lamb ewes , to keep down woolier areas, around the place.

It seems a bit wasteful to keep mowing when something could be eating it .

I'd like to get a breed that would do for both milk and meat.

And trial a sort of micro scale lamb at foot dairying system.

But I'll need to check availability of solid, and electric fencing materials too .

They're not abundant either...

Oh do stop being such a drama queen -

Dave dear..:tongue:
Have you considered goats?? No idea about them but I have seen a few in gardens etc and they seem like a good idea for grass reduction and milk
Not so good for wool - but then you don;t have the hassle of shearing them - if indeed that is a hassle - and indeed if all breeds need shearing
You might have worked out that I am not an expert

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Have you considered goats?? No idea about them but I have seen a few in gardens etc and they seem like a good idea for grass reduction and milk
Not so good for wool - but then you don;t have the hassle of shearing them - if indeed that is a hassle - and indeed if all breeds need shearing
You might have worked out that I am not an expert

I have considered goats , but they need dry housing to retreat to, and generally need better fencing than sheep.

Being long legged they can jump high...

And I want to selectively graze areas using electric fencing deployed on reels .

So moving their shelters often would be a bit of a pain.

I already have to do that with the chicken houses.

No I'm not bothered about wool
In fact self shedding sheep would be preferable.

Someone put me onto this breed as a good multipurpose ewe .

But I'm not sure about availability in this country.

I'll probably give it a try with whatever flavour I can get hold of, then take it from there.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Probably the last one in stock before I got there.
I wanted one with a shorter blade tho' that one does not look too long.
I learned how to use one on my grandparents croft before I was even in my teens but these were bigger ones for full fields and not small gardens.

Yes shorter blades better for getting in and around things...:okay:

Top Bottom