Worst actual cycle path?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I don't actually see much wrong with that one. Yes, it is very short, but it does provide a legal shortcut for bikes.

Perhaps try putting a bollard in the middle of a road and see what drivers think of it?

Mike_P

Guru
OK, put a bollard in the middle of a wide road. See how you get on.
Bollards are lower than handlebars. I pass a number on local cycle routes without any problem so long as you ensure pedal clearance.
Totally different matter is an A frame barrier that a straight bar bike will not get through without wriggling the bars through the opening. My road bike fits through okay. I mention them as its the only place locally I have found a cyclist lying on the ground as they had misjudged the A barrier and probably were going a touch too fast.

Bollards are lower than handlebars. I pass a number on local cycle routes without any problem so long as you ensure pedal clearance.
Totally different matter is an A frame barrier that a straight bar bike will not get through without wriggling the bars through the opening. My road bike fits through okay. I mention them as its the only place locally I have found a cyclist lying on the ground as they had misjudged the A barrier and probably were going a touch too fast.

Saw some lad going through an a-frame once
One lad was lagging behind so the others waited for him on the other side
so - being a teenage boy - he decided he could wheelie through without stopping

He chickened out just before getting to it - front wheel crashed down just in time and he fell off but was clearly OK

his mates were nearly wetting themselves - which is correct!!!

I rode it this spring and it was much better. The time before that it was as you say, like the RAF had used it for bombing practice. If you go on Google street view it still looks fairly flat but I think it gets used by the big trucks heading to and from the industrial sites along that stretch. So it may not stay flat for long as its only a gravel track.

Good to hear it. I'll risk it one dry day!

Jenkins

Legendary Member
One of my favourites in Ipswich - directing you off the road and almost straight into a lamp post & road sign
1697664613350.png

roubaixtuesday

I've got to say that there is an excellent cycleway path near Knutsford, where the A556 got decommissioned, now called the B5569.

View attachment 710595

Except

(1) it goes to nowhere, apparently its termination justified because they did a survey of cyclists on the 556, found none (unsurprisingly, it would have been suicidal) so it could justify not spending the money to link Altrincham to Knutsford which would actually be useful.

(2) As your pic shows, you have to give way at every single driveway (!) making it functionally useless along what is now a very quiet road anyway for the bits I ever ride.

(3) At the far end at least, it's used to be loose gravel surface, maybe that's changed.

I ride the road.

Last edited:
There is a problem with some cycle paths I know where, mostly of the "shared" variety, where the "design" means that every driveway or entrance gives all joining traffic effective (but not legal) priority
As an example, going through the industrial estate - all factories and stuff - near us, the pavement on one side is "shared"
or at least legally it is shared, and if you know where to look the signs are there, but not obvious once you are on it
It is good in that it gives bike a place to ride which has decent tarmac and you are away from the lorries on the road and also away from the detritus they kick up and leave near the kerb
so far so good
BUT - every entrance to each unit means potentially a lorry/car/van exiting and crossing the path to get onto the road
IN THEORY they need to look carefully along the path - both ways - for pedestrians and bike but in many cases I can believe that they are mostly looking at the roads and not expecting a bike to be coming along at 15 ish mph

so, in effect, the bike is supposed to be aware of the vehicle coming out and give way if necessary
As a lot of the factories have solid walls - if the vehicle has a bonnet - like a car - then it HAS to come out a few feet before the driver can even see along the path

The same applies to paths among residential roads - people backing out SHOULD look - but may well not so the bike is - again - pretty much expected to give way

To be fair - a lot of the cycle paths around here are pretty good - some of the "paint a while line and hope they shut up" variety - but mostly much better
and the new roads, especially on big projects like the Mersey Gateway, do seem to have proper cycle infrastructure built in - which is good

but some bit are clearly not designed by someone who cycles much!!!

GuyBoden

Guru
Except

(1) it goes to nowhere, apparently its termination justified because they did a survey of cyclists on the 556, found none (unsurprisingly, it would have been suicidal) so it could justify not spending the money to link Altrincham to Knutsford which would actually be useful.

(2) As your pic shows, you have to give way at every single driveway (!) making it functionally useless along what is now a very quiet road anyway for the bits I ever ride.

(3) At the far end at least, it's used to be loose gravel surface, maybe that's changed.

I ride the road.

You can get to Altrincham/Bowdon via Tom Lane. Then you have to negotiate the traffic lights on the Bowdon roundabout. This is the connection to Altrincham. :laugh:

Info:
"the status of the footpath crossing the M56 via Tom Lane being upgraded to allow use by cyclists as well as pedestrians and would be diverted to join the re-modelled Bowdon Junction."

"There is a route from the B5569 through to the Bowdon Roundabout, it goes down Cherry Tree Lane, Tom Lane and Yarwoodheath Lane, joining the mini-roundabout, where there is a path and ability to cross safely once vehicles are stopped by the various traffic signals. "

3373957.0.full.jpg

Attachments

• Yarwoodheath Lane.png
    Yarwoodheath Lane.png
    320.2 KB · Views: 6

roubaixtuesday

You can get to Altrincham/Bowdon via Tom Lane. Then you have to negotiate the traffic lights on the Bowdon roundabout. This is the connection to Altrincham. :laugh:

Info:
"the status of the footpath crossing the M56 via Tom Lane being upgraded to allow use by cyclists as well as pedestrians and would be diverted to join the re-modelled Bowdon Junction."

"There is a route from the B5569 through to the Bowdon Roundabout, it goes down Cherry Tree Lane, Tom Lane and Yarwoodheath Lane, joining the mini-roundabout, where there is a path and ability to cross safely once vehicles are stopped by the various traffic signals. "

View attachment 710608

Interesting, thanks. What's the source, and is that now, or future?

This route?

1697727647637.png

I don't t*think* there's any lights on the smaller roundabout? and it's essentially between a motorway and a motorway-like dual carriageway.

Obviously not a route anyone's ever going to cycle.

On the plus side, I've discovered "Dirty Lane"!

Top Bottom