Worst actual cycle path?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The one on the A14 near Kettering blows my mind every time I drive past. There's no cycle track along the dual carriageway, so I guess you're supposed to cycle in the slow lane, but they helpfully provide a cycle way to ensure you're safe at the slip roads.

View attachment 710378

Washington, Tyne-Wear, has numerous similar examples of "cycle infrastructure", on it's dual carriageways.

Hicky

Guru
A Beeline section of cycle path is being constructed is Castleton N Mcr, it’s an abomination at best. Utterly useless….

Alex321

Veteran
A Beeline section of cycle path is being constructed is Castleton N Mcr, it’s an abomination at best. Utterly useless….

Why?

Is it somewhere cyclists won't want to go? Or is the road so good there is no benefit to a separate cycle path?

Or some other reason?

I'm not disputing what you say, just wondering what it is that makes it so bad.

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
All too often the provision of cycle infrastructure is a tick box exercise without any thought of how practical it is to use. There's a few junctions on the A168 where it is a parallel local distributor to the A1(M) which have cycle facilities bypassing the roundabouts but the road is that quite normally they are virtually completely unused, and the monies would have been better spent elsewhere.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The one on the A14 near Kettering blows my mind every time I drive past. There's no cycle track along the dual carriageway, so I guess you're supposed to cycle in the slow lane, but they helpfully provide a cycle way to ensure you're safe at the slip roads.

View attachment 710378

Yeah I’ve seen that, what were they thinking?

Hicky

Guru
Why?

Is it somewhere cyclists won't want to go? Or is the road so good there is no benefit to a separate cycle path?

Or some other reason?

I'm not disputing what you say, just wondering what it is that makes it so bad.

It's poorly finished, drainage is poor, there are numerous dropped sections where cars/vans park making it pointless.
More importantly it stops at one end where the road narrows and is severely needed....I believe funding is cut too.
It could be great as the road is an arterial route for kids to and from high school at each end and makes it difficult for the doom merchants to argue against despite there best attempts......oh and has over run by months.

Top Bottom