Worst actual cycle path?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Windle

Über Member
It made me think of this one, it being the Sedgefield NCN1 link to the main NCN1 at Wynyard Forest Park.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/EtdcWiABzxugTWGt9
On the right, that was once a wide gravel/tarmac footpath. It is down to 4 inches or zero in places. And mind your head!

I've ridden many 10 mile TT's on that road, although I don't think the course is used anymore due to traffic lights on one of the roundabouts.

OP
OP
albion

albion

Guru
I've ridden many 10 mile TT's on that road, although I don't think the course is used anymore due to traffic lights on one of the roundabouts.
Unsafe anyway, though I suppose an early Saturday or Sunday would be doable. Further east the A689 is now far too dangerous to consider cycling, it now being one of the north's busiest roads. The A19 is the main suicide mission road which near zero cyclists use in the area meaning more cyclists get killed on the A689.

Windle

Über Member
Unsafe anyway, though I suppose an early Saturday or Sunday would be doable. Further east the A689 is now far too dangerous to consider cycling, it now being one of the north's busiest roads. The A19 is the main suicide mission road which near zero cyclists use in the area meaning more cyclists get killed on the A689.

There were a couple of cyclists knocked off during TT's on the Sedgefield / Wynyard course, including my minute man at the turn in an evening club 10 in 2012 and a more serious one in 2019 (after I'd stopped riding). It's shame certain roads become unsafe due to the actions of incompetent morons in cars who don't look properly, but that's the world we're living in now :cursing:.
When I started riding the local club 10 was on the A689 but from Rushyford to Sedgefield and back, probably even worse now than the Sedgefield / Wynyard course.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
To my mind the original article is daft (well it is road.cc) in suggesting that a rather crappy cycle rout might be "Britain's worst" when in fact it's par for the course.

My first assumption is always that a cycle path will be a crap surface that takes me where don't want to be. I'm normally only reduced to using them when they are needed to navigate busy dual carriageways and associated junctions

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
shelter.jpg

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It's very possible if you first apply Hanlon's Razor.

Hanlon's razor suggests exactly that they don't give a shoot. It's not malice, they just don't care.

The bus stop example seems to be to be a communication/documentation error

Seems possible that it is SUPPOSED to be a "end of cycle lane" "start of cycle lane" the other way round so that people don;t cycle past the bus stop and endanger people waiting for the bus

just delete the bike symbols and put them after the give way signs???

There are a few like that around here - obviously no-one actually gets off their bike, walks 20 yards, then gets back on and cycle off
but it does protect the counsel from law suit sand warns cyclists to be more careful

maybe

Alex321

Veteran
To my mind the original article is daft (well it is road.cc) in suggesting that a rather crappy cycle rout might be "Britain's worst" when in fact it's par for the course.

My first assumption is always that a cycle path will be a crap surface that takes me where don't want to be. I'm normally only reduced to using them when they are needed to navigate busy dual carriageways and associated junctions

Round here in the Vale of Glamorgan and Rondda-Cynon_Taf, there are a good number of surprisingly good quality cycle paths.
This on 5-mile lane is fairly typical of ones running alongside major roads. There are also quite a few which run well away from the road they more or less parallel, none of which have streetview pictures.
1697548712936.png

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The bus stop example seems to be to be a communication/documentation error

Seems possible that it is SUPPOSED to be a "end of cycle lane" "start of cycle lane" the other way round so that people don;t cycle past the bus stop and endanger people waiting for the bus

just delete the bike symbols and put them after the give way signs???

There are a few like that around here - obviously no-one actually gets off their bike, walks 20 yards, then gets back on and cycle off
but it does protect the counsel from law suit sand warns cyclists to be more careful

maybe

Creative thinking but bollocks me thinks

Top Bottom