Worst film

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
In the cinema, I walked out of Hook.

At home, I watched all of Sharknado thinking it was a spoof.

AndyRM

XOXO
Not. But then I don't like dark, up their own arse, over violent films ;)

Fair enough. Twould be a boring world if everyone agreed about everything.

I'm a big fan of the darker elements in films, I find it interesting to see how people interpret the worst elements of human nature. In both those films I find the main characters motivations totally compelling. And I find the violence a sort of punctuation along a brutal path, it has to be there as a reminder of the ugliness of the character you're in danger of developing sympathy for.

Drive isn't even close to Refn's most up his own arse effort by the way. That would be either Only God Forgives or Valhalla Rising, both of which you'll be unsurprised to learn I love, particulalry Valhalla.

Anyway, to get us back on track I'll nominate The Room as the worst film. An obvious choice, but it is so unbelievably awful this thread wouldn't be complete without it.

vickster

Legendary Member
I go to be entertained not challenged. I don't want to have to think and I don't want to watch people hurting each other, or animals, or children, or women!
Probably comes from being made to watch arthouse films and read the classics at university, in French and German! I avoid costume drama for the same reason, ok if it's 20th century but none of that Jane Austin or Bronte sister rubbish for me!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Fast & Furious (any of them - grandchildrens staple) - utter tripe.

On reflection I'd also have to include any romcom, gritty drama, gee-whizz blockbuster that emanates from Hollywood. Difficult to decide what is the crappiest out of a generally *iss-poor output from the Big H Studios.

AndyRM

XOXO
I go to be entertained not challenged. I don't want to have to think and I don't want to watch people hurting each other, or animals, or children, or women!
Probably comes from being made to watch arthouse films and read the classics at university, in French and German! I avoid costume drama for the same reason, ok if it's 20th century but none of that Jane Austin or Bronte sister rubbish for me!

Sounds like we have a broadly similar experience but have ended up in different places because of it which I think is interesting.

Different discussion for a different thread methinks!

AndyRM

XOXO
The only film I ever walked out on (I do like going to the cinema) was When Frankie Met Johnny. Michelle Pfeiffer as a dowdy waitress who can't get a boyfriend and doesn't fancy Al Pacino. Yeah right.

I also hated the way Pfeiffer's overweight speccy goofy woman friend was set up as a symbol of what happens to women if they can't get a man. Hateful tosh.

The same guy directed Beaches and Pretty Woman, and a lot of other stereotypical pish. Not the sort of consistency you want to be celebrating...

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
As far as watching films on DVD goes (go?), I reckon one of the contributing factors as to why my ex and I are just that is that I fell asleep during The Lost Boys, all the Batmans, Robocop etc etc etc, and said I felt sorry for the alien in the eponymous film as if it had managed to eat thingy in the opening chapters, the film would have been over and we could have watched something else instead... The list goes on.

Top Bottom