Would changing from a Small frame to an XS be worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Binka

Über Member
I currently ride a Small Liv Avail which a friend gave to me free when she upgraded. I'm 158cm (5ft 2") and when I'd been looking at buying a bike before I got given one the staff in the Giant shop said I'd need an XS. I don't feel I can reach the hoods very well, although I can reach the drops OK. I tend to ride the bike with my hands a bit back from the hoods....more where the top bar curves round. And I can't reach the brakes from there!

So I was thinking of buying a new bike, but looking at the geometry on the Liv website there doesn't seem much in the reach between the XS and the S - and on some Avail models it's actually the same! Though some models there is a 1cm difference, plus the handlebars are 1cm narrower, plus the stem is 1cm shorter. So I might get 3cm difference? Which seems like it might not be enough as I'm currently riding with my hands about 8cm back from the hoods?

I'm not getting any aches or pains at the minute but I think that's because I'm not riding on the hoods. I've looked at a few other makes as well, just trying to find something with the shortest reach but again it's minimal gains (loss). I'm happy to wait until Sept time as I think that's when the new season bikes come out and I might actually be able to sit on some and see if they feel better which would help!

vickster

Legendary Member
My 5’6 friend rides a S. I’d suggest an XS would be better for you if staying Avail, but always try before you buy

Or just add crosslever interrupter brakes to the tops so you don’t have to use the Gear levers to brake. A £20 solution that might work well. Plus a shorter stem. Narrower bars won’t affect reach, just where your hands sit and wrist angle

Last edited:
OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
It does have top bar brake levers as well and I can use them fine. But I don't tend to ride with my hands on the top bars and I'm just aware that I'd need to move my hands to get to either set of levers which is OK for planned braking I guess. Less so for any need for sudden unplanned braking. I normally ride a recumbent so this is all taking a bit of getting used to. Will ask the LBS about a shorter stem, thanks.

Small bikes are usually fitted with bars, stem and cranks that are too large. Post a pic if you can of your riding position with the pedals in forward and bottom position.
You may be able to get away with shorter stem and smaller bars.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
looking at the geometry stats , the difference in the bikes is 1 cm top tube and 1 cm stem so 2 cm in total , according to the blurb yours has an 80 mm stem and the xs has a 70 mm so to get the same effective size you would need a 60 mm stem if my math is right assuming the rest of your set up is right .
I assume you have set your bike up right for saddle height and set back already ?

vickster

Legendary Member
I ride on hoods or corners but 95% of time I just shift my hands quickly and use the crosslevers. In traffic or a descent, I find it much safer to cover those brakes all the time

Sharky

Guru
There are a lot of subtle differences between the xs & s sizes.
Looking at their geometry chart , it is not that clear.
The seat tube and head angles will make a difference and the cranks are shorter, which will allow a slightly higher saddle,
A steeper seat tube will keep you nearer to the bottom bracket as you raise the saddle, likewise the shallower head tube will bring the bars nearer as you raise the handle bars.

All very tiny differences, which could make a difference, but ideally you need to try one. If you do, compare the relative positions of the saddle, bars and BB with your current bike. Measurements on the frame alone are a bit irrelevant.

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
I think saddle is at correct height. I did the thing of having my leg straight with the heel on the pedal.

Attachments

• bikefitl_IMG_20200703_131819.jpg
    bikefitl_IMG_20200703_131819.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
I'm happy enough using the cross lever bikes but if I did end up changing the bike for a XS frame I feel I'd maybe also want to upgrade to disc brakes and then those models don't have the top bar levers. Though I think they can be added as long as mechanical disc brakes not hydraulic ones?

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
I'm not sure what year the bike is - previous owner thought it was 5 or 6yo so not sure of the actual geometry. Does it vary year on year? I've measured the stem and I think it's 750mm?

Really daft thing. Could you post a picture of the bars from above. I’m thinking the bars need to be rotated downwards so the drops come closer and then the shifters need to move up the bar so they are closer to the centre which will reduce reach by a few cm. it will mean bar taping having to be removed and retaped but a free fix if you can do it carefully and retape the bar.
Next I would look at shuffling the saddle forwards slightly so that the pedal axle dissects the knee at 90 degrees at the 3/9 o’clock position.

Top Bottom