Would changing from a Small frame to an XS be worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You don't mention any issues which would lead to thinking any change would be needed..

Which doesn't mean it's right or wrong of course, the issue here is bars/hoods too far away

Sharky

Guru
I can try the saddle further forward, would I still be able to fit a small bag on but with velcro straps?
Yes.

You can also get short reach handlebars which might reduce the distance to the brake levers. Don't know what you have already.

Changing stems, bars, saddle positions is something that I've often done in the past. When you feel something is not quite right, these are the variables you can change. But make small changes and monitor the difference.

Good luck

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Looking at the geometry specs for the current Avail the reach is the same for the S as for the XS. AT 372. I don't understand why 2 bikes marketed as different sizes would have the same reach which I'd have thought would be one of the ma n determinants of whether the bike fits or not. Stem is 1cm shorter though.

The Avail AR has a slightly smaller reach in the XS at 366. But not sure I want the hassle of tubeless. Though it's a nice colour. :smile:

Those handlebars look like standard drop bars some compact handlebars might work to remove some of the bar reach and put the shifters closer to you.
I don't think they make the Avail in an XXS anymore. Think the saddle is about as far forward as it can go.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Looking at the geometry specs for the current Avail the reach is the same for the S as for the XS. AT 372. I don't understand why 2 bikes marketed as different sizes would have the same reach which I'd have thought would be one of the ma n determinants of whether the bike fits or not. Stem is 1cm shorter though.

The Avail AR has a slightly smaller reach in the XS at 366. But not sure I want the hassle of tubeless. Though it's a nice colour. :smile:
I would suspect the XS has a lower saddle height, try doing what they've done and fit a 10-20mm shorter stem to your bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
on facefluff not sure if its any good ?
1593879260266.png

You do look a bit stretched out on that @Binka

As a fellow shorter lady, I do know where you're coming from, though you are a little taller than me.

Some good advice has already been given. Better to try the simple, non-expensive things first before looking for another bike. Shorter stem, maybe more compact bars. And if you swap that saddle bag for a bar bag, you'll be able to move the saddle forward a touch more as well.

Failing that, have you thought about a junior bike? Depending on your budget, there are options. I ride a Wiggins road bike (650c wheels, 38cm frame) and I reckon the 700c wheel ones might do. There are two sizes of 700c Wiggins bikes, but can't remember what they are off the top of my head. Downside for what you want is that they're rim-braked rather than disc. Failing that, there are other decent small bikes out there, some junior, others not...

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/fickle-12-year-old-first-road-bike-suggestions.262641/
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/road-bike-for-a-grandson.260005/

cyberknight

Reach and stack in bike measurement are do do with measurement form the bottom bracket not total length of the top tube
https://www.thebikelist.co.uk/choos...each-measurements-and-why-are-they-important/

icowden

Veteran
So I was thinking of buying a new bike, but looking at the geometry on the Liv website there doesn't seem much in the reach between the XS and the S - and on some Avail models it's actually the same! Though some models there is a 1cm difference, plus the handlebars are 1cm narrower, plus the stem is 1cm shorter. So I might get 3cm difference? Which seems like it might not be enough as I'm currently riding with my hands about 8cm back from the hoods?

It might be worth visiting some local bike shops to get advice and maybe a bike fitting? It was never something I had thought about until recently when I got my new bike. My local shop has an excellent fitter who did a top notch job in finding the right size bike for me and recommending brands / models.

si_c

Guru
Swapping the seat post for an inline type will likely help quite a bit, it'll all move you forward without needing to remove the saddlebag. You'll likely need to have it a tiny bit higher as a result.

A shorter stem will also likely help but I'd avoid going much shorter than 70mm. Also as had been suggested moving then levers up the bars a little might make the position more comfortable.

Ultimately though the bike is a bit too big I think, but it has highlighted what you would want to change which is good for your next bike purchase 👍

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
Thanks everyone. Sadly that Cannondale posted earlier is too far away for me. I’m going to go down the LBS next week and chat to them about some tweaks and see how much it will cost. i don’t want to spend a lot if after changing stem, levers, saddle post I still think it’s too big! But if it’s not going to be too expensive it’s worth a go.

cyberknight

Thanks everyone. Sadly that Cannondale posted earlier is too far away for me. I’m going to go down the LBS next week and chat to them about some tweaks and see how much it will cost. i don’t want to spend a lot if after changing stem, levers, saddle post I still think it’s too big! But if it’s not going to be too expensive it’s worth a go.
stem and seatpost you can do yourself assuming you have a set of allen keys
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/60mm-oversize-stem-id_8325778.html
seatpost, depends on what width you have 27.2 ? ( it will be stamped on the post somewhere normally if you take it out ) i will not guess but you can pick up a post for under £20 .

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Just to say Binka, many thanks for the metric and imperial measurement in your first post. I am constantly having to convert these days as most people use metric.

Secondly, as someone else had previously said, I ride with my hands in exactly the same position you have them in picture two.

Thirdly, though not of any assistance but just who is responsible for the "swept back" seat post design, what was wrong the straight one that we all happily used for years!!!

Good luck with it.
That's be me, you can tell by the 'wear' on the bar tape,

Top Bottom