Would changing from a Small frame to an XS be worth it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
You look soo much more relaxed in the second picture I would still be of the opinion that you need the smaller frame size. The adjustments that can be made will only get you so far and perhaps not far enough.

Next I would look at shuffling the saddle forwards slightly so that the pedal axle dissects the knee at 90 degrees at the 3/9 o’clock position.
There is no biomechanical basis for use of KOPS, Not something to recommend just because and especially when saddle height and fore/aft isn't the issue.

Gunk

Guru
At 5'2" I'd even try an XXS and just have a taller seat stem. You'd find it far less of a stretch.

Gunk

Guru
I'm happy enough using the cross lever bikes but if I did end up changing the bike for a XS frame I feel I'd maybe also want to upgrade to disc brakes and then those models don't have the top bar levers. Though I think they can be added as long as mechanical disc brakes not hydraulic ones?

I've got spare pair of top levers (off a Liv) you can have them if you need them. They're brand new.

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
I don't think they make the Avail in an XXS anymore. Think the saddle is about as far forward as it can go.

Attachments

• handlebarIMG_20200703_135055.jpg
    handlebarIMG_20200703_135055.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 8
  • saddleIMG_20200703_135040.jpg
    saddleIMG_20200703_135040.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 6

Gunk

Guru
A 70mm stem would only cost about £15 that’s what I would do first. I did it on my bike and it’s made a huge difference.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm happy enough using the cross lever bikes but if I did end up changing the bike for a XS frame I feel I'd maybe also want to upgrade to disc brakes and then those models don't have the top bar levers. Though I think they can be added as long as mechanical disc brakes not hydraulic ones?
Yes I have crosslevers on my two mech disc braked bikes. It’s not being able to have them that puts me off hydraulic brifters...oh and that they are huge and super fugly too. If you have small hands, definitely test ride to check you can use although some may be able to be adjusted for reach with shims but the hoods will still be as massive

Sharky

Guru
I don't think they make the Avail in an XXS anymore. Think the saddle is about as far forward as it can go.
That under the seat bag bracket needs to go. It's stopping you from moving the saddle forwards.
We are all different, but as a rough guide, my saddles are always such that the seat post is at the 2/3rds 1/3rd point on the saddle.

OP
OP
Binka

Binka

Über Member
How do I know if my saddle position is correct?
Edited - I've googled and done the plumb line thing and it seems good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom