Would these shoes be ok

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I've just bought some this morning - never used clipless before, the price of the shoes has always put me off. Now I'm off to trawl fleabay for some very cheap pedals - because I also bought shorts, gloves, mini pump, computer, spare set of lights.... and a botlle of wine, with which to calm any ruffled feathers when the keeper of the purse strings !;)

stevevw

Guru
Had a look at the shoes earlier, good for the price. You need to search for Shimano SPD 520's a good cheap double sided pedal.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
the shoes i had from two years ago are still fine, although they were improved by using better quality bolts for the cleats.

get some proper shimano spd pedals (you can get ones that are flat on one side), and they'll be fine.

things like these

RedBike

I've got last years shoes. They're not brilliant but they are cheap.

The sole is a little bit too flexable so you could well end up with 'hot spots'
They're heavy (This is noticable)
They're not in the slightest bit waterproof.

I got the shoes last year and for my short commute they're perfect but over longer distances I'm not sure. I've only had to change laces and I wouldn't be surprise is the retaining strap? soon fails.

Cubist

Still wavin'
I tried the shoes in Lidl today and found them heavy. Having said that if you are trying clipless for the first time, and marry them up with a pair of the Wellgo pedals above, then you will certainly have done it on a very reasonable budget.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I can not speak for the shoes as they never have my size (I am a 13) but the rest of teh clothing is great. I stocked up on s/s jerseys, shorts and a helmet yesterday and also found out that I had been bought a jacket. For the price you really can't go wrong.

I've had a pair of Lidl shoes for about 18 months and like others have said, they're not light and quite flexible... but adequate for my 8 mile each way commute. Can't beat them for value and good introduction to clipless.

I also managed to get some Lidl pedals at the time for about £12 but they only lasted about 12 months before wearing out. Replaced them with Shimano M520's from here... but only cost me £17.50 at the time.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
008 said:
I've had a pair of Lidl shoes for about 18 months 3 years now ...... Can't beat them for value and good introduction to clipless. Absolutley :biggrin:

I also managed to get some Lidl pedals at the time for about £12 but they only lasted about 12 months before wearing out. Mine are still going strong but not used as much as what yours has bin.
Having said that, I'll get the shoes/pedals recommended above for my next bike (N=n+1) :wacko:

Top Bottom