Would you buy a new bike online?

Would you ever buy a new bike online?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thomas

the tank engine
I couldn't quite work out where to post this, so hopefully here will be okay :smile:.

Would you ever buy a new bike over the internet, such as through the Evans or Wiggle (etc) website, rather than going to an actual bike shop to try it out?

Do you just use the internet to research what is avaliable and price ranges, before going to buy it in shop? Do you think you'd ever buy a bike off the internet if you haven't - or have you ever?

Will1985

Über Member
I've bought frames online, but that is the only place to get On-Ones I think. I didn't know what to expect from it but I was happy in terms of feel and sizing so no problems.

Not so sure if we're talking about whole bikes. I would like to get a feel for it and sized up properly first in an LBS, but being tight I'd prefer to save some money and buy online. I've got enough maintenance skills to not have to worry about assembly and servicing.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I got my current Spesh Allez Elite on-line mainly due to needing it quickly when my prev bike was stolen, and the LBS not being able to source it quickly.

It was cheaper (which was a bonus) but I would have preferred to get it from the LBS in case of problems (which there have been).

zimzum42

Legendary Member
I've bought a bike online, no problems.

If you know your sizes and the difference in geometry and such, then it's a pretty safe bet.

Otherwise find a shop which stocks it, try it out, then order online...

Keith Oates

Janner
I have never bought a bike off the internet although I do use the online shops to give me a price guide at times. Getting a bike is almost the same as getting a wife/girlfriend and I'm sure you wouldn't do that over the internet. I also think that supporting an LBS is worth the effort as you usually get good service in return and end up making savings after the initial purchase because of this. Others will have a different opinion, which is fine, and they must have a good case otherwise the online shops would go out of business. All the above rubbish can be condensed into a full answer to the question by saying NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will1985

Über Member
Sh4rkyBloke said:
I got my current Spesh Allez Elite on-line mainly due to needing it quickly when my prev bike was stolen, and the LBS not being able to source it quickly.

It was cheaper (which was a bonus) but I would have preferred to get it from the LBS in case of problems (which there have been).
That's a good reason for buying online as you already knew the sizing (assuming like-for-like replacement).

Maz

Guru
Sh4rkyBloke said:
I would have preferred to get it from the LBS in case of problems (which there have been).
Nothing serious, I hope, but what went wrong? I also have an Allez Elite...

All the bikes I've bought in the past have been from a lbs. I admit though I'd be tempted by some of the savings offered on line and I know in theory based on a bike fit what frame size I'd need but I think the cover, and pre/after advice offered by the lbs seem to win through.
wrt online shops I've also used probikekit too.

bonj2

As long as you can get spares for it, particularly any proprietary frame spares that may be necessary. If possible get a frame that doesn't require any proprietary spares.

biking_fox

Guru
If you know your sizes and the difference in geometry and such, then it's a pretty safe bet.

That's the key bit really. I'm looking at a Thorn rohloff which I think I'd quite like, but they list a huge range of geometry options and I don't know which is actually best for me. I'm unlikely ot buy it until I've had a chance to ride some different styles. I think I'd always want to try a decent bike out first, but if I were just buying a hack for commuting maybe I'd feel ok taking what the internet offers.

Otherwise find a shop which stocks it, try it out, then order online...
That's bad form. Maybe OK to do it to halfrauds but not polite for your LBS, where you'll presumably be taking it for servicing and expecting them to do a decent job with it.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Maz said:
Nothing serious, I hope, but what went wrong? I also have an Allez Elite...
Well the rear wheel was not true when it arrived, and made some annoying noises on the first trip out - contacted them and they agreed to fund getting it trued in my LBS.

Then the chain snapped a couple of months later, and took out the rear derrailleur (snapped the lower jockey wheel and bent the unit into the cassette)... I had quite a job getting them to fund a replacement under the warranty.

They originally said it was due to lack of servicing, then that it wouldn't be convered by the warranty then gave in and offered me the parts at cost before finally sending the parts for me to get fitted at my own expense (did it myself in the end, so no additional cost). Bit of a nightmare which involved me writing several emails and having to send pictures of the damage.

The rear brake also has some niggles in that it doesn't fully open once applied and so can end up rubbing slightly on the rim after use. I've tried a full disassembly and lubrication as well as a new cable and still it does the same - bloody annoying!! :biggrin:

Apart from that, I love the bike. :tongue:

Maz

Guru
That's a real bugger, sharkybloke.
Um, how long before the chain snapped?...you got me worried now.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Keith Oates said:
I have never bought a bike off the internet although I do use the online shops to give me a price guide at times. Getting a bike is almost the same as getting a wife/girlfriend and I'm sure you wouldn't do that over the internet. I also think that supporting an LBS is worth the effort as you usually get good service in return and end up making savings after the initial purchase because of this. Others will have a different opinion, which is fine, and they must have a good case otherwise the online shops would go out of business. All the above rubbish can be condensed into a full answer to the question by saying NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i believe your part of the world is more used to the supply of such items, rather than their consumption…:tongue:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I could of bought my bikes cheaper on-line but instead supported the lbs. I think that in the long run its good to build up that relationship, I've popped into the shop and they have done quick little fixes/adjustments for free. They also have fitted my bike in over a lunchtime for an emergency repair too when they were officially closed. They might have done that anyway of course I'll never know.

Top Bottom