Would you cold reset this frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'm glad as I was just about to disagree with you, the amount of BS on this thread is amusing it's 5mm each side FFS
10 mm. Newtons 3rd law. Reason for the nuts is to keep the dropouts in alignment as the process occurs. Some steels, like Columbus, don't take to cold setting as well as others, like Reynolds 531. You might want to spread the frame 15-20 mm, to account for the steel springing back. I did this to a 531 frame to accommodate 8 speed on a 6 speed frame.

10 mm. Newtons 3rd law. Reason for the nuts is to keep the dropouts in alignment as the process occurs. Some steels, like Columbus, don't take to cold setting as well as others, like Reynolds 531. You might want to spread the frame 15-20 mm, to account for the steel springing back. I did this to a 531 frame to accommodate 8 speed on a 6 speed frame.
I think you'll find that Columbus steel is pretty much the same CroMo as 531 and will bend (screw this cold setting nonsense) just as much as any other steel or iron. You'll also find that the nuts do not gaurantee a new drop-out angle but that the old angle will be preserved as it was. Nuts make no difference. Why complicate things by suggesting to spread it 15-20mm? Just bend it until you have the desired width. Stop complicating the little procedure.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think you'll find that Columbus steel is pretty much the same CroMo as 531 and will bend (screw this cold setting nonsense) just as much as any other steel or iron..

531 isn't classed as cro-moly as it has a greater proportion of Manganese in it's formulation. 501 is the stuff that closely resembles the cro-moly offerings from other sources. Columbus steel tubing came in several varieties, just like Reynolds.
I would not get too blasé about cold-bending steels that have undergone heat treatment. It is definitely NOT recommended to try it with Reynolds 753, which is essentially heat-treated 531 drawn to a thinner gauge.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I think you'll find that Columbus steel is pretty much the same CroMo as 531 and will bend (screw this cold setting nonsense) just as much as any other steel or iron. You'll also find that the nuts do not gaurantee a new drop-out angle but that the old angle will be preserved as it was. Nuts make no difference. Why complicate things by suggesting to spread it 15-20mm? Just bend it until you have the desired width. Stop complicating the little procedure.
Why "bend" it too far? or not enough? And I find the nuts, along with some fender washers, if needed, help keep the dropouts parallel.

531 isn't classed as cro-moly as it has a greater proportion of Manganese in it's formulation. 501 is the stuff that closely resembles the cro-moly offerings from other sources. Columbus steel tubing came in several varieties, just like Reynolds.
I would not get too blasé about cold-bending steels that have undergone heat treatment. It is definitely NOT recommended to try it with Reynolds 753, which is essentially heat-treated 531 drawn to a thinner gauge.
Yeah yeah year. Nobody mentioned 753. The rest will all just bend without fuss.

Why "bend" it too far? or not enough? And I find the nuts, along with some fender washers, if needed, help keep the dropouts parallel.
Because it is impossible to get it right the first time. Even with nuts and threaded rods, you still have to overshoot. Sometimes you overshoot too much, other times, not enough. Nobody can get it spot on in one go and if you do, you're lucky.

C R

Guru
Like I said before, washers, fender or otherwise, will NOT keep the drop-outs parallel. That requires a different technique. You need an Irish Vernier for that.
How come? The threaded rod would act as the axle, so the nuts and washers would keep the drop out in the correct position with respect to the axle, wouldn't they?

Top Bottom