Would you cold reset this frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
My daughter's bike is lovely but it's also old and, more importantly, French.

upload_2019-8-4_16-11-13.png

Long story short, I'm minded to widen the frame from its current 120mm to 130mm to accommodate modern wheels. There's a man with an incredibly annoying voice who shows you how to do it with a threaded rod and some nuts (oo er missus) on youtube -

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdibmxBuMy0

It all makes good sense, and I'm thinking of giving it a go, but a) I've never done it before, b) 10mm feels like a lot, and c) I'm not sure whether the age might have a bearing? (I don't know, but at a guess I'd say it might be '60s?)

Any words of wisdom/experience much appreciated

gbb

Legendary Member
Done it on a 531 Raleigh that had 27.1/4 wheels (so it had some age).
No real problems, I used a piece of wood through the triangle to gain leverage, you have to go a lot further than say 5mm because it springs back. Little pulls switching side to side to make sure it stays as even as possible.
Brake bridge...mine was tubular and brazed to the stays.. I got concerned about the stress it may put on those welds so I tightened a big jubilee clip round the bridge and stays to prevent it pulling them apart.
No problems though.

robgul

Legendary Member
No problem to cold-set steel frames - either the studding and nuts method in the film, or Sheldon Brown has a method using a piece of "lumber" - that's "wood" in English. Just go at it steadily with regular checks as you progress. As suggested to get the 5mm either side you probably need to wind the dropouts to about 140 or even more to allow for the spring-back.

I've probably re-szed 7 or 8 steel frames with no issues. NOTE: Under no circumstances try it with an aluminium frame.

Rob

OP
OP
swee'pea99

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Build some modern wheels on modern 120 mm cassette hubs?
I'm not looking to spend a lot on this - I have a wheel or two in the shed, and a few old Shimano cassettes - I think the cold reset is probably my best option.

(I'll probably be back about the BB in a bit. :rolleyes:)

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
It's not 10mm, it's 5mm each side, which isn't a lot. ;)

Yes, do it, but just bloody bend it. What's with this "cold setting" nonsense? Grab the thing by both ends and pull. Keep on measuring and keep on pulling pushing back when you've gone over the top. It doesn't even require a Utoob video, bolts, nuts washers or a fancy name. You'll be surprised how easy it is. Don't worry about any stresses and strains, those are non-existent.

Once you've reached the right dimension, fit the wheel and go ride. Drink a beer. A plain old lager will do, no need for a fancy artisinal one that comes with its own Utoob video and associated hoo-ha.

Top Bottom