Would you evict your children?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
My mother threw my wife our two month old son and myself out of the house and made us homeless at 11pm one late November night back in 1974. She did not like the sound of my son crying, he had colic at the time. Although all 3 of our boys left home and bought houses I could never have thrown them out.

Last edited:

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
My kids left home shortly after university, the youngest came back and stayed with us for a couple of years and that was nice but she's gone again. It did cost plenty of money to raise them but we have zero regrets, my wife and I are quite happy with the sacrifices we made as they have filled our lives with happiness.
Would I have kicked them out? If they were abusive, yes, without hesitation, but I think we did a pretty good job raising them and never gave us a reason. They are doing exactly the same with their children and I don't see any problem with that, they chose to have children so they should raise them well, in fact, I think my son is a better father than I ever was.
I have to admit that it's rather nice that they don't let us pay our share when we go to restaurants :smile: And we don't feel bad at all :laugh:.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I couldn’t wait to move out, at the age of 16 I was gone. My lad is 18 soon and he can stay here as long as he wants. He hasn’t mentioned anything about moving out but then why would he. He has a double bedroom, 49” flat screen smart tv, Xbox and his music. We said we’ll get him a mini fridge soon so he can keep his own snacks in there. He pays us a bit of rent, works full time and has his own motor bike which he keeps in my garage. He can come and go when he pleases, he’s very quiet when coming in late and doesn’t wake us.

OP
OP
S

slowwww

Veteran
NO,..there are no conditions to my love, if they need to stay then they can stay for as long as they want, if they are still with me when they are closer to 30 or 40 or whatever then there will be a reason and they will get my support and love and if they leave and need to come back then so be it,
Lovely. If mine get to 30 or 40 and are still with me, can I send them to you? :laugh:

Levo-Lon

Guru
My stepkids started living in my house when they were 15 -17 ,they both moved out after about 4 years ..

I found this parenting lark quite easy if I'm honest :laugh:

We're going to wait till they're both away at uni then move.

My in-laws did that, not to get rid of her, just circumstance of changing jobs (pub landlords, accomodation is with the job)

My daughter, 4, has said a few times that she's having our house when she's older and we'll have to leave town, this has been re-negotiated to us moving down the street but she has to save up her pennies to buy the house from me.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My wife's parents down sized from the family home to a 2 bed bungalow over 50 miles away, effectively making her and her brother homeless at the age of 19 and 21.

OK they weren't kids, but the whole process has made relations quiet strained. It just seems an odd thing to do.

I can understand things could be different if your children are taking the P, not paying any rent, not bothering to get a job and just using the house as a free hotel.

Your own personal pride should kick in at some point too, and it is natural for children to want to fledge at some point.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I told all of mine that when they turn 18 if they aren't working, or doing something productive (Uni etc) they'll be out the door. No bludgers in the Farquhar household, other than me of course.
That's what my mum said to us, although I think the age limit was higher at 21 and we would have been out working or not. She said she wanted us to live in the real world but if we fell on our arses she would always have us back. As it was my brother joined the army and my sister and I went off to university.

I know blokes in their 30s who've gone straight from living with their mum to being married, who can't cook, can't clean, can't use a washing machine, basically can't look after themselves at all. Drives their wives crazy.

pawl

Legendary Member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44215648

Now I love my daughters to bits, and am already starting to worry about them leaving home (they're 14 and 12).

But what if they don't? What if their teenage indifference to tidying-up and generally being helpful at home isn't just a 'phase', and they're still with us in 20 years, still doing eff-all to assist? What if I cease to adore them and then regard them as blood-sucking parasites?

What if my simply sitting around dressed only in skanky pants won't prompt them to leave?

<<worried>>

Charge them an exorbitant amount for food and lodging

Top Bottom