Would you evict your children?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perplexed

Guru
I know someone who is over 50 and is still living at home. They've never moved out, not even to go to university...

perplexed

Guru
Are their parents happy with the arrangement? And what happens when they die?

I'm not sure to be honest. I think there's been some mild friction when they proposed that they may like to move house. On one occasion when a different county was mentioned and once when a move to about 10 miles from Sheffield was proposed. Scorn was poured on the idea, but I'm not sure how serious they were in the first place...

This person has a younger sibling who moved out donkey's years ago - what happens to the house when the parents die is anyone's guess. I imagine that if it is his home (though not his house) then possession will be the proverbial 9/10ths of the law.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yeah, but you'd been up the chimneys since you were 4 and hadn't paid a penny in rent!

Funny you should say that, we were paying £15 a week and buying our own food etc. I am to this day grateful for what she did to us.

screenman

Legendary Member
I can't believe most people who stay at home at 50 years of age do it because they are contented, there has to be an underlining issue, a fear maybe, mental health issue or something that has stopped them from leaving home.

You could well be right, but I bet on most cases the individuals see nothing wrong with what they are doing.

U

User65906

I have acted for elderly parents forced to take eviction proceedings against abusive children before. It is heartbreaking for them but the children bring it on themselves. With house prices nowadays people are extending their homes to accommodate daughter/her partner & children..

My 14 yr old can't wait to cast loose & move out, my 17 yr old seems to be happy at home. As for the 7 yr old who knows !!
I agree, abusive children need to know its not going to be tolerated, and if moving them out is
the only way, then well be it, other than this, its healthier for children to move out and find their
way, some are more keen than others to do so, some take more time, its all good, as long as its not abusive.

screenman

Legendary Member
The day our last one moved out we had a huge party, with only the two of us there. Due to the spread of ages we had kids at home for 43 years.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Erm.. tricky, but my nephew is quite happy working just Cricket Season cutting grass/cleaning at Old Trafford for 6 months a year, then doing nothing in the off season - mid 20's. Eats all his mums food and stuff. My 17 year old son has been told he is not getting like that

MarkF

Guru
I have a soon-to-be 24 year old who lays in bed all day ........waiting for XFactor to call him I think..............and it's driving me mental. We've always had problems with him but now it's serious, he's clutching at "careers", signing up, but giving up and then going back to bed. Tbh I always envisaged this position. His two younger siblings are up and running.

But I am 55, I have stuff to do, go back to Spain, live on a boat etc I look at him and think that he'll never have his own place, why should I continue to provide food, clothes and housing for him..........forever?

Top Bottom