Would you put a brand new bike on a Turbo Trainer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bennydorano

Veteran
I've a brand new Ribble Stealth perched on wall bars in my garage, it's unlikely to see the road until April, I've a £200 Hybrid (that is hanging together) set up on the TT, the hybrid is killing my knees, but would you put a brand new bike on a TT:huh:

edindave

Über Member
Yep just put a trainer tyre on the rear wheel and off ya go. Stickin' out! :biggrin:

I probably wouldn't but then again it's a slightly irrational decision on my part, to say the least. A friend has just bought a Pinarello Dogma, has a Dura-Ace groupset which he's using at the moment '...as a very expensive turbo trainer.'

I don't get on with turbo trainers so winter bike equals rain and mud and good wash every now and then. All a matter of personal choice and if you're asking the question, then maybe you have reservations too..?

Why is the hybrid harming your knees? Why not get a cheap winter/trainer/bad weather/hack bike?

If you do use the TT with your Stealth then as mentioned above, change the rear tyre for something cheaper and get one of those block thingies for the front.

A new bike on a novice on rollers??? Now there's another question.

OP
OP
bennydorano

bennydorano

Veteran
I dont like the TT at all and I do get out on my other bike whenever possible, sometimes you just have no other options thou. Dont think I really want to set it up on the TT tbh before even getting it out on the road.

iendicott

Would I put a new bike on a turbo, Yes I would. Simple as that. Also if you are having issues on the Hybrid the setup is wrong. I use my hybrid on the rollers as well and this is fine.

avsd

Guru
I would fix the set=up of the hybrid and save the first few rides on the new bike for a dry day and I totally agree with Ianrauk ypu do not have to wait until April - 5/10 minutes cleaning is all the is required to maintain your new bike if you avoid the worst of the weather/

Knee pain is likely related to the height of the saddle (too hugh or low) or you are trying to push too high a gear on the TT or you have a medical condition with the knee. Changing the bike is not the best way fix your knee issue.

Enjoy the new bike which ever decision you take

I would fix the set=up of the hybrid and save the first few rides on the new bike for a dry day and I totally agree with Ianrauk ypu do not have to wait until April - 5/10 minutes cleaning is all the is required to maintain your new bike if you avoid the worst of the weather/

Knee pain is likely related to the height of the saddle (too hugh or low) or you are trying to push too high a gear on the TT or you have a medical condition with the knee. Changing the bike is not the best way fix your knee issue.

Enjoy the new bike which ever decision you take

Slowly coming to this conclusion myself. I have a winter bike which serves in bad weather, does me for night riding and would be what I'd use on a TT or rollers if I had them. It also serves as my learning curve bike, doing odd jobs when they need doing so as to help me learn on a bike that isn't as valuable as my carbon.

BUT, the last time I used my carbon pride and joy was in December. It was dry, virtually no surface water, no muddy backroads and the bike came back pretty much as clean as a whistle. Only difference between riding it in early December and the summer is some hard case tyres I put on to cope with any extra crunt on the roads and some of the places I ride, I might be better off with them all year round anyway!

I compare the above to 3 rides over the summer on the other hand, where I was absolutely pissed on - two sportives and another long ride back from the south-coast.

So, perhaps the real difference is crap weather vs good weather bike, not summer vs winter. Just another perspective.

I agree with the poster above about the hybrid, it's set up incorrectly for your body geometry.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I wouldn't.

I'm sure many carbon or alu bikes have been used on turbos without damage, but I wonder how many lightweight machines with cracked chainstays have? The stress through that area is considerable and if the designer has gone close to the limits with the material strength having the frame fixed rigidly in the turbo and unable to compensate by moving with the pedal strokes could cause failure over time.

Only my own theory, but if I had a turbo I'd stick a £49 catalogue crapper on it.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
brother in laws got a brand new Carrera that just sits on turbo trainer , when i offered or suggested using an older bike and why waste good money for it to sit on trainer , he just shrugged his shoulders and said he could afford it , lucky

amaferanga

Veteran
I wouldn't.

I'm sure many carbon or alu bikes have been used on turbos without damage, but I wonder how many lightweight machines with cracked chainstays have? The stress through that area is considerable and if the designer has gone close to the limits with the material strength having the frame fixed rigidly in the turbo and unable to compensate by moving with the pedal strokes could cause failure over time.

Only my own theory, but if I had a turbo I'd stick a £49 catalogue crapper on it.

Ever heard of a bike frame cracking on a turbo? I haven't.

I use my best bike on the turbo through the winter. Doesn't concern me in the slightest. Only thing I'd say is avoid trying to sprint out of the saddle on any bike on a turbo.

Top Bottom