Would you queue for McDonalds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Over the long term, places like McDs are probably killing more people than the virus. I wonder how much money they have to put into each countries coffers to stay in business.

I'd imagine that they are extremely tax efficient within the relevant legislation - Starbucks tax payments have been well publicised, for example.

On a related note, the nearby KFC only reopened this week and the amount of discarded litter with their logo on it was noticeable on yesterday's ride.

Landsurfer

Veteran
Over the long term, places like McDs are probably killing more people than the virus. I wonder how much money they have to put into each countries coffers to stay in business.
The risk of death by driving to McD's is statistically higher than dying of Covid-19 ( Professor Spegilhalter) so with the added risk of driving and McD's you'd better self isolate right away ....^_^

Brads

Maccie D's has upped their game a little in the past few years but are still garbage. The wraps are at least edible if you are starving,
I have given them up as their veggie options are crap, so no, I wouldn't queue for one.

Burger King on the other hand , the new rebel whopper is bloody magic !

I also have an issue blaming any company for misuse of it's product. Fat people are fat because they put effort into it, not because Maccie D sells crap food.
If it wasn't them , they would find another junk food to binge on.

I think the damage done to the environment by them all is pretty dire also.

Landsurfer

Veteran
To be fair "The Watering Hole," on Perranporth Beach would probably be my only exception to no pub rules.

Love to go back to Cornwall again for another faimily holiday, maybe next year..
Our holiday for the first 2 weeks of August is booked and confirmed for sunny Cornwall .....(alternative weather is possible ).
Booked it yesterday morning, confirmation received late yesterday afternoon ... and not an automatic reply , an email from the proprietor welcoming us to their site .....9 weeks and counting .... ^_^

JPBoothy

Veteran
To be fair "The Watering Hole," on Perranporth Beach would probably be my only exception to no pub rules.

Love to go back to Cornwall again for another faimily holiday, maybe next year..
I am not a big alcohol fan really but, I do like a pint in the right pub in the right setting.. Having a good chat in my Jeans & Jumper in a country pub with an open fire on a cold winter day/night always does it for me. Alternatively, in a beer garden on a lovely summers day (less the jeans/jumper and fire of course) does the same thing. Definitely about the setting for me rather than the pint though.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Our holiday for the first 2 weeks of August is booked and confirmed for sunny Cornwall .....(alternative weather is possible ).
Booked it yesterday morning, confirmation received late yesterday afternoon ... and not an automatic reply , an email from the proprietor welcoming us to their site .....9 weeks and counting .... ^_^
Good luck and I hope it goes to plan and the restrictions are relaxed by then.. We were looking forward to our 2wks of peace in Cardigan Bay at Easter after a very wet school half term holiday in Brixham last October, but sadly had to cancel. Ironically the weather was beautiful. We have been holidaying in this country for the past 16yrs and absolutely love it 'especially when the sun shines' but, I'm concerned now that certain places may not welcome tourism in the same way as it did before the virus outbreak, particularly the small close knit communities that you get in Wales/Cornwall etc.. What do you think?

Landsurfer

Veteran
Good luck and I hope it goes to plan and the restrictions are relaxed by then.. We were looking forward to our 2wks of peace in Cardigan Bay at Easter after a very wet school half term holiday in Brixham last October, but sadly had to cancel. Ironically the weather was beautiful. We have been holidaying in this country for the past 16yrs and absolutely love it 'especially when the sun shines' but, I'm concerned now that certain places may not welcome tourism in the same way as it did before the virus outbreak, particularly the small close knit communities that you get in Wales/Cornwall etc.. What do you think?

The wifes family are all from Camborne, Truro and Penzance and they are all seething at the "bloody emmets ... retired here and telling us what to do " theme ...
Wealthy Cornish based politicians and retired incomers can whine on all they want about keeping Cornwall closed but the Cornish that rely on tourism to live want it opened .. pronto..
The Cornish working in the public sector .. at home on full salaries .. would love the status quo to carry on forever ...:rolleyes:
The owners of the site we go to are all Cornish , born and bred ..and want their living back .... Julies family ... in recruitment, building and reliant on an open fishing industry, want the county open ....
1st of July has been given by Cornwall Council / Tourism Cornwall as the date for change to an open holiday season .... so mote it be!
We normally spend 1 long weekend at our caravan in Redruth every month, year round, and 6 weeks in the summer ... with family from up country coming and going .... The children have missed their "Cornwall time" this year

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru

Hope it all goes well for you and manage to get your Holiday in.

Me and my son were supposed to be going to Gilwell with our Scout group this July but sadly can't see that happening now..

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I'd imagine that they are extremely tax efficient within the relevant legislation - Starbucks tax payments have been well publicised, for example.

On a related note, the nearby KFC only reopened this week and the amount of discarded litter with their logo on it was noticeable on yesterday's ride.

I too rode past a load of KFC litter dumped on the side of the road yesterday.

Top Bottom