Would you queue for McDonalds?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
No I wouldn't.

Same as I wont drive to the coast on a bank holiday...why would anyone want to deliberately choose to sit in a 4 hr traffic jam..:laugh::crazy:

Oh completely. My next door neighbour is in his 70s. His Mother just passed away in her mid 90s but up until she shuffled off she would insist he drove her to the coast every single bank holiday "for a nice ride out".
I pointed out to him that they were both long since retired, and could choose literally any nice day of the week and enjoy less traffic than the hell that is bank holidays. I asked him if his Mum ever noted the hellish traffic jams and said anything akin to "oh, hang on, this traffic is awful isn't i, it's no longer a nice ride out like it was in 1949".

"Yes she says exactly that" he said, "but she insists on the bank holiday because that's just what she's always done. It's a tradition".

Utterly f*cking crackers, some people.

Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
It grows on you (like fungus) if you have it often enough. Pret a Manger does a decent filter coffee to takeaway for 99p though. I just can't bring myself to pay over 3 quid for a Starbucks/Costa drink that tastes more like a dessert. I know I know, I'm a cheap skate, my wife tells me all the time :laugh:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It grows on you (like fungus) if you have it often enough. Pret a Manger does a decent filter coffee to takeaway for 99p though. I just can't bring myself to pay over 3 quid for a Starbucks/Costa drink that tastes more like a dessert. I know I know, I'm a cheap skate, my wife tells me all the time :laugh:

You'll be getting Gregg's coffee next - it's OK when it comes with a breakfast roll for next to nothing.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Oh completely. My next door neighbour is in his 70s. His Mother just passed away in her mid 90s but up until she shuffled off she would insist he drove her to the coast every single bank holiday "for a nice ride out".
I pointed out to him that they were both long since retired, and could choose literally any nice day of the week and enjoy less traffic than the hell that is bank holidays. I asked him if his Mum ever noted the hellish traffic jams and said anything akin to "oh, hang on, this traffic is awful isn't i, it's no longer a nice ride out like it was in 1949".

"Yes she says exactly that" he said, "but she insists on the bank holiday because that's just what she's always done. It's a tradition".

Utterly f*cking crackers, some people.

Indeed. I get wound up by the old folks at the supermarket on Saturday clogging up the aisles. Please leave them to those that can't shop any other day of the week!
(obviously a pre-COVID19 moan)

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Worse yet there are people who will eat an elephant leg aka doner kebab that’s been festering for hours if not days xx(
Sometimes even when they’re sober :ph34r:

I did that once. Still can't work out why a doner tastes so good when drunk, and so hideous when sober.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
His Mother just passed away in her mid 90s but up until she shuffled off she would insist he drove her to the coast every single bank holiday "for a nice ride out".
I am fortunate (?) enough to live in one of these coastal towns. Great place at any time of the year EXCEPT bank holidays (oh, and winter storms) :cursing:. I spent a couple of years driving taxis here, and a sunny bank holiday was our worst nightmare. Gridlock everywhere in the town; you literally couldn't move in a car. Queues into town on the 3 main routes available were tailed back for miles, and not a parking space to be had once they actually managed to get here. All for a walk along the prom, buy an overpriced ice cream, and have it snatched from you by a vicious seagull. Why; just.... WHY?? :wacko:

jayonabike