Would you rather be sliced up or lasered? Or have a frayed braked cable shoved up you?

Do you expect me to talk?

• Slice & dice

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Frickin' laser beams

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Nobber

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Shiny fun new toy

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
If the slice option was more effective and no more scarring, I'd go for that, no issue with GA (had enough over the last few years)
Slice option gives slightly better cosmetic results.

I'm not squeamish, but I do find local anaesthetic injections a bit excruciating :sad:. The last one I had felt as if the guy was sawing my hand off.
That does concern me. The surgeon used that catch-all euphemism: uncomfortable.

No contest - Laser. You get to watch and experience the smell. You probably get to go home sooner too.
The last time I had a GA I felt dreadful for days after
This worries me a bit. Recovery time is longer for the slice & dice, and we're supposed to be moving house imminently.

I had my eyes lazered. That was fun. They take off the middle of your eye with a scalpel and flip it back, then start with the lazer. After a few seconds you can smell that disgusting smell you get when you burn hair or fingernails. What larks, Pip, what larks.

Does that help?
If I start to smell burning it'll be because they're making black pudding.

Perhaps best to talk over with the doctors as to which is best suited for your self as they hopefully have done both before and can advise on recovery times etc, good luck and fingers,toes and even bikes crossed for a good outcome.
Same long term outcome for both. Surgeon recommended laser unless I'm particularly concerned about appearance. There's a vein/vain joke to be made in there somewhere I'm sure.

Just out of curiosity what are you having done?
Would it change your opinion if you knew?

midlife

Guru
Would it change your opinion if you knew?

All procedures have risk / benefit and an evidence base. I'd initially go by the figures........

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd go for the better cosmetic option even if slightly longer recover. Scars are for life, which is hopefully longer than post op recovery :smile:

I live with a 6 inch long surgical scar on my lower back. 25 years ago keyhole wasn't available, today the scar would be minimal. I can't see it obviously but it does bother me to some degree.

I also have a 2" scar on my elbow, now my surgeon is able to do tennis elbow release arthroscopically, so I'd have a couple of 5mm scars, like I do on my shoulder and knees (way too many crocked joints)

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Pardon the pun but 'cutting edge' technology always worries me. New techniques and steps forward in treatment are all well and good but if it is something recent I would always wonder if they had perfected it yet or were still using patients as guinea pigs to master the art?
I feel the same way.

When I fell ill with a certain condition, I was put on the conventional medication for it. My consultant offered me the option of a brand, spanking new medication but I declined. I felt happier taking something that doctors had 60 years experience with rather then something that had just got through medical trials and had only been in use for a year or two. I told him that I didn't want to act as a guinea pig helping to uncover unexpected side effects. He rubbished the idea that any drug that had passed the trials could have problems. My response was - Thalidomide? :whistle:

Fast forward 15 months and the certain condition was back. Back to the consultant to discuss treatment options. He had clearly forgotten the original conversation because he told me that we should stick to the conventional medication; no point in me effectively acting as a guinea pig on the brand, spanking new medication - I mean, look what happened with the side effects of Thalidomide! :laugh:

Alan O

Über Member
I live with a 6 inch long surgical scar on my lower back. 25 years ago keyhole wasn't available, today the scar would be minimal. I can't see it obviously but it does bother me to some degree.
A friend from many years ago had a congenital abnormality of the cartilage in the knee, which grew extra bits which needed surgical removal. When she had the first one done she was left with considerable scarring, but by the time the other one needed doing there was a keyhole procedure available and she ended up with just three tiny pinpoint scars - it was very impressive.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It's a rather mundane varicose vein procedure. Very commonplace although the laser treatment is newer.

I was under the impression that cutting and stripping out the vein is worse than 'uncomfortable' and up there with 'bloody painful'? I also thought that the recovery time was far less with the laser.

Top Bottom