Would you rather be sliced up or lasered? Or have a frayed braked cable shoved up you?

Do you expect me to talk?

• Slice & dice

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Frickin' laser beams

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Nobber

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Shiny fun new toy

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
Best of luck.

Personally I'd go with the option for best recovery and sod the scaring. But then I have a badly scarred left calf (+100 stitches to a dog bite), a badly scarred left wrist (15 ops), a bad scar across my abdomen and finally a 4 inch scar on my back.
I've gone for the brake cable and bleach, mainly because it's the one with the least pain and best recovery. It is pretty new though, they've only done about 20 patients at this unit, so I'm a bit of a pioneer really. No good data on long term outcomes but if it doesn't work properly I can come back later and get lasered.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
It is done. I'm out and waiting for my wife to pick up some sushi for lunch.

Pretty quick and easy procedure. I could feel them inserting the catheter and there's a sort of warm vibrating feeling as they switch the machine on and draw it back through the vein but it's not really that uncomfortable. There's sort of a weird hot feeling inside my leg now but it's fine really.

Now it's just compression stockings for a couple of weeks and moderate exercise. So no cycling for a bit which is probably a good thing as I'm not allowed to bathe or shower either.

LiamW

I find myself in a situation where I am required to make a decision between either being sliced up or having lasers stuck in me. The slicing up option involves being put to sleep and more pain, so probably better drugs and more time off work. The lasering still requires an amount of slicing, but means I get to stay awake and watch, plus it uses lasers which are all futuristic and cool, and I'm hoping the surgeon would be up for reenacting that bit from Goldfinger, even though I bet he's done it a hundred times before.

So which would you choose and why?

I had a hip replacement 4 years ago, I was numbed from the waist down and was semi conscious. I was sliced and diced and the top of leg sawn off, so I picked the 1st one.

Can't remember any of it bar the bloke in a butchers apron with a full face clear visor.

No idea why he was there, or maybe I was hallucinating :smile:

As the surgeon was giving the injection, he said cheerfully, 'Slight scratch coming up.' I do wish they wouldn't say that! When I saw him for the follow-up I fed back that I had found the injection very painful (I cried, and the nurse who was assisting was rather concerned), and he looked completely disbelieving. I think it would be better to treat the patient like a grown-up, and say that the injection will be quite painful. Then if the person doesn't find it so, they feel much happier than I did throughout the subsequent procedure (carpal tunnel surgery).

Having said all that, I would still opt for a local if it was a sensible option - it meant I could just get the bus home afterwards :smile:.
LA can be excruciating depending on where you're having it. Personal experience says eyes and ears are bad. Testicles none too pleasant either!

lazybloke

Considering a new username
LA can be excruciating depending on where you're having it. Personal experience says eyes and ears are bad. Testicles none too pleasant either!

LA in the thyroid is unpleasant, similar to increasing pressure on the gonads!Eye-watering rather than excruciating.

Top Bottom