Would you rather be sliced up or lasered? Or have a frayed braked cable shoved up you?

Do you expect me to talk?

• Slice & dice

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Frickin' laser beams

Votes: 21 65.6%
  • Nobber

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Shiny fun new toy

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
I was under the impression that cutting and stripping out the vein is worse than 'uncomfortable' and up there with 'bloody painful'? I also thought that the recovery time was far less with the laser.
I believe that's the case, yes.
I'd go for the better cosmetic option even if slightly longer recover. Scars are for life, which is hopefully longer than post op recovery :smile:
I'm not too worried about scarring. The issue is that with the laser, the varicose veins aren't removed completely, they just fry the larger vein downstream, which forces the blood to return via the deep veins, so they can still carry blood and be a bit unsightly.

I might take some before and after photos to show you all, my leg is quite impressively disgusting and bulgy at the moment.

Tin Pot

Guru
In life I tend to find that asking people to do things in ways they don't want to usually leads to poor results. Ask yourself, do people choose to become surgeons because they *don't* like cutting people up?

Plus lasers must, of course, always be mounted on sharks.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I'd go for the better cosmetic option even if slightly longer recover. Scars are for life, which is hopefully longer than post op recovery :smile:

I live with a 6 inch long surgical scar on my lower back. 25 years ago keyhole wasn't available, today the scar would be minimal. I can't see it obviously but it does bother me to some degree.

I also have a 2" scar on my elbow, now my surgeon is able to do tennis elbow release arthroscopically, so I'd have a couple of 5mm scars, like I do on my shoulder and knees (way too many crocked joints)

^ ^ ^This^ ^ ^
I have quite a large stomach scar from surgery which is now routinely by keyhole and a scar from broken femur surgery is much bigger and visible.

machew

Veteran
tumblr_inline_nxcfiaylkx1tcrqyq_500.gif

Allegedly....

The author Richard Gordon spoke about taking his first blood sample

In the days were consultant ruled the roost, his first patient was the wife of a Consultant

He uttered the immortal words.. "Just a small prick"

She replied "Most of his junior Doctors are"

david k

Hi
I had my eyes lazered. That was fun. They take off the middle of your eye with a scalpel and flip it back, then start with the lazer. After a few seconds you can smell that disgusting smell you get when you burn hair or fingernails. What larks, Pip, what larks.

Does that help?
That sounds horrendous!

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I would go for whichever option gives you Tramadol for post-op pain relief. Marvelous stuff.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
OK, I'm adding another option to the poll since it would seem that my surgeon has a shiny fun new toy that he's quite keen to try out. Basically it's a metal wire that they shove inside you, which rotates to mash you up from the inside whilst simultaneously spraying some chemicals around to finish the job. I'm imagining it like a frayed brake cable covered in bleach. He's going to phone for a chat about it so we'll see.

postman

Legendary Member
Gall Bladder removal five years ago.First patient in at 08-00.Nurse said just a small prick Mr Mee.Yes well i have been waiting on that cold draughty corridor twenty mins.

Top Bottom