Would you secure your bike to this at work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If I want to take my bike to work, I have to secure it to this stand.

It looks good until I noticed the bolts that secure it to the concrete.

If a group of thieves wanted to steel a load of bikes, they could turn up in a van and unscrew the bolts. Take the whole frame and the bikes.

Has this ever happened? Looks easy enough to do.

So would you secure your bike to this stand at work? What are your thoughts?

Could your employer be responsible for the theft. If they have not provided a secure fixing point?

Thanks
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379618146.576269.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379618163.968335.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1379618175.772155.jpg

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
See if someone will come and spot weld it. The ones I used to use were like this, not ideal.

I do know Manchester Uni had issues in some secure staff shelters, but ended up getting the bolts spot welded as a precaution.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
With a few bikes on the larger ones, it would be difficult to remove, but its not ideal.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
An organised group of thieves with a van would probably find it quicker and easier to cut through all the locks and take the bikes.
^^^ this, they wont bother removing the stand. Sweetpea's bike lock liberation thread showed what you can do with an angle grinder in 30 seconds.

Davidc

Guru
My answer is yes.

I use stands as badly anchored as that at several shops (including Tesco). I also set a very loud alarm, so there's going to be a second deterrent.

What's important is that if pro bike thieves do get the bike and I have to claim on the insurance I've done what they ask and "used a lock to the required standard and taken all reasonable precautions"

You can only do what's practical. You don't get the opportunity to specify the bike stand or its fixings.

Top Bottom