Wrong frame size?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BikeLiker

I've had a 54cm Spesh Roubaix, which I like a lot, for 18 months but I am starting to have nagging doubts about frame size.
At 169cm I fall (just) into the 54cm recommended size (http://www.evanscycles.com/product_document/file/b21/609/13c/46/specialized-roubaix-sizing-chart.pdf) but I now have the bars as low as they will go and still spend 60-70% of the time on the drops. I'm comfortable on the bike and don't feel overstretched but am wondering if a 52cm frame with a longer stem would be better because:
  • Shorter wheelbase = sharper handling
  • Smaller frame = lighter frame
  • Bars can be lowered further relative to saddle height
  • Having more seatpost showing looks cool - doesn't it?

I can't think of any advantages of a larger frame. Are there any? Am I wrong about any of the advantages of a smaller frame?

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I've had a 54cm Spesh Roubaix, which I like a lot, for 18 months but I am starting to have nagging doubts about frame size.
At 169cm I fall (just) into the 54cm recommended size (http://www.evanscycles.com/product_document/file/b21/609/13c/46/specialized-roubaix-sizing-chart.pdf) but I now have the bars as low as they will go and still spend 60-70% of the time on the drops. I'm comfortable on the bike and don't feel overstretched but am wondering if a 52cm frame with a longer stem would be better because:
  • Shorter wheelbase = sharper handling
  • Smaller frame = lighter frame
  • Bars can be lowered further relative to saddle height
  • Having more seatpost showing looks cool - doesn't it?

I can't think of any advantages of a larger frame. Are there any? Am I wrong about any of the advantages of a smaller frame?

I'd say that only one of your 4 reasons is worthy of consideration. That being the third one down. The top 2 will not be noticable, imho if you are just going from a 54 to a 52 and the bottom one isn't a decent enough reason. It might make a difference if you are considering which size to buy but I can't believe you might get rid of a bike after 18 months and replace it, based upon the strength of this factor.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
On longer rides a more upright position may be more comfortable.

Overall height of rider cant really be used to tell which size frame you need, two riders the same height can have hugely different leg lengths also your arm length is is important. Best bet if your buying a new one is try and get a fitting and test ride on both sizes.

The Roubaix is designed as a comfortable ride on long distance rides rather than as an out and out racer.

OP
OP
BikeLiker

BikeLiker

I'd say that only one of your 4 reasons is worthy of consideration. That being the third one down. The top 2 will not be noticable, imho if you are just going from a 54 to a 52 and the bottom one isn't a decent enough reason. It might make a difference if you are considering which size to buy but I can't believe you might get rid of a bike after 18 months and replace it, based upon the strength of this factor.

I should have said my tentative idea is to buy the same bike 2nd hand and sell mine so hopefully there won't be any major outlay. The difference in wheelbase between a 52 and 54 is half that between the same-sized Tarmac and Roubaix which, according to reviews I've read, is quite significant in terms of handling. I realise the Roubaix is a "Sportive" design but I can't see any advantage in sitting more upright than comfort requires - my thinking is that the hoods, not the drops, should be the default riding position. Is there any reason why arm & leg length can't be accommodated by stem and seatpost? Reason 4 was meant to be tongue in cheek - maybe I should use smiley's more^_^:smile:

Have you tried the 56cm frame? If you are considering changing then trying the next size up may be worth while too. Personally I'd ignore any sizing chart and try things to see what actually fits and feels good.

Unless you are some riding god then only point 3 would have any real world effect!

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I should have said my tentative idea is to buy the same bike 2nd hand and sell mine so hopefully there won't be any major outlay. The difference in wheelbase between a 52 and 54 is half that between the same-sized Tarmac and Roubaix which, according to reviews I've read, is quite significant in terms of handling. I realise the Roubaix is a "Sportive" design but I can't see any advantage in sitting more upright than comfort requires - my thinking is that the hoods, not the drops, should be the default riding position. Is there any reason why arm & leg length can't be accommodated by stem and seatpost? Reason 4 was meant to be tongue in cheek - maybe I should use smiley's more^_^:smile:

Hehehe, yep I know it wasn't really a serious factor. If you can get hold of an identical one in a size that you prefer and are not much out of pocket, then it sounds like it all might end up working out well. As Mickle says - a sideview pic may assist with feedback from the resident experts :smile:

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
Being old school I think there is nothing worse than showing too much seat post (other than not showing enough) 3 to 4 inch is about right for my idea of a good looking bike. Big people on little frames just makes me cringe and little people on big frames makes me worry about their ability to produce offspring. But I also don't understand modern frame ideas and think the reverse slope of the top tube down to the seat tube looks completely wrong like an upscale BMX.

Like I say I am old school and my opinion is really irrelevant on this topic. What I will say is try a different size frame and see what it feels like, it might just fit like it was a present from the Gods, or feel like hell has visited. If you are in the position to obtain a different size frame whilst keeping your existing one then all the better until you know the right choice has been made. The only sure way is to give it a go and see. Do not forget that simple changes such as a shorter stem may be all it takes. If you want sharper handling then a straighter fork may be all you need or a steeper angle on the head tube (a tad more expensive)

oh I ride a 25" frame so I am biased towards a long elegant looking bike btw

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon
gate was always being kind, My bikes always got called various things not all of them kind ^_^ Using the old method of 9" off your inside leg 25 is the 'right' size for me I am only 6'2". I tried various frame sizes when starting out and settled on 25 as the size for me 24s were ok but hard to come by in stock size bikes. The frame I ride now was made to measure for me, all be it 30 years ago. I know that smaller frames are now the way to go, I personally just don't like the look of them. I have not tried a 'new' style frame or bike and may well be impressed and won over when I do I was hoping enough 'tongue in cheek' came over in my comments.

The main point was try a different size frame and also other stems and the like on the op's bike to find what ultimately suits them every one is different and two identical sized people may find two completely different sizes and set ups suit them best.

good luck and enjoy.

Top Bottom