Yay! Go Manchester.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Weren't they warned it could happen and just dismissed it?

Jody

Stubborn git
It's such a shame. Sheffield OFO won't be far behind given what's happening with them. Out of 5 I saw the other week 4 were stolen. They are for sale on Gumtree. Dumped in rivers. One even made it to the middle of the peak district trails.

It doesn't surprise me either.

Julia9054

Guru
It's such a shame. Sheffield OFO won't be far behind given what's happening with them. Out of 5 I saw the other week 4 were stolen. They are for sale on Gumtree. Dumped in rivers. One even made it to the middle of the peak district trails.

Wow - how much are they going for on Gumtree? And who the hell would buy one?
I always meant to have a go on a Mobike - I'd better get a move on!

Jody

Stubborn git
Wow - how much are they going for on Gumtree? And who the hell would buy one?
I always meant to have a go on a Mobike - I'd better get a move on!

Last one I saw was 50 quid because the tyres were worn :rolleyes: Who knows why you would buy it.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I joined the scheme, but have yet to ride one. I am 10 miles from central Manchester and outside the "catchment" area in Sale. They then reduced the area even further.
I will have to get into the centre and have a go before they go.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It does become an ingrained mentality living with the constant risk of petty or targeted theft and low level crime. It impacts on your daily routines without you even noticing it, you tend to lock things up and put things safely away when you would not really consider it necessary in a different environment.

You take this with you even when outside the 'risk' area. On a recent holiday in a remote part of Wales I was still fastidiously locking the car, checking my wallet and locking the cottage doors even though I knew the locals were taking no such precautions, a real Mancunian abroad. You can take the man out of Manchester but you can't take Manchester out of the man...… :rolleyes:

winjim

Smash the cistern

Ofo Sheffield packed up their bikes and went home in July. It looks very much like everybody is pulling out of the provinces and heading for the capital*.

*Pun very much intended.

Alan O

Über Member
Things aren't quite as bad in Liverpool where the Citybike thing is still going... possibly because they're such big heavy clunkers that the kids don't want to steal them.

But a number of stations away from the city centre have been abandoned due to the fixtures being destroyed by vandals, which is a shame. One situated in a park near me was ideal for... having a ride round the park, obviously, but it was also on a handy 2-mile route into the city which was great for a quick ride in to the shops. But it was wrecked.

Perhaps ironically, the same park used to have a police station at one entrance - but they closed that.

It just shows how broken our society is. I was locking my bike up outside the coop the other day and an elderly gentleman approached me to comment how sad it was that it was necessary to do that. I agreed, shrugged and walked off. What can be done about it? Not much. :sad:

I'm tempted to buy a junker bike that I can just leave unlocked, but it would still be a PITA if it went missing and I had to walk 30 minutes home, rather than 5 on the bike.

Top Bottom