Yay! Go Manchester.......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
Apparently if they pull out of Manchester there could be implications for the company in Newcastle. I hope not, because it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere near those levels of abuse here and it would be a shame to lose it.

Julia9054

Guru
I'm tempted to buy a junker bike that I can just leave unlocked, but it would still be a PITA if it went missing and I had to walk 30 minutes home, rather than 5 on the bike.
My son had a junker bike in Manchester. He took his eyes off it for a maximum of 15 seconds. It got nicked.

Alan O

Über Member
It's pathetic and a sad indictment on the state of society

These schemes work really well in China (apart from oversupply). There is no significant theft or damage problem. We may be somewhat sniffy about countries like PRC but this is one area where they are head and shoulders above UK
Perhaps the death penalty and the endemically corrupt judicial system might be a part of that? Personally, I prefer stolen bikes to arbitrary execution.

(Adding with haste: No, I don't mean they execute people for stealing bikes, just that arbitrary authoritarianism is not a model for us to emulate)

nickAKA

Über Member
I'm not sure how the administration of this scheme differs to the running of the London scheme, but it looks (to the non-expert) like there are issues with exactly how it's run and how simple it is to steal these bikes. I *imagine* that people who are paying customers treat them with a modicum of respect... I've heard plenty of complaints from legit users about how poorly run it is (which obviously doesn't excuse the behaviour of our mancunian vandals & thieves) but it looked doomed to failure from day dot.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Apparently if they pull out of Manchester there could be implications for the company in Newcastle. I hope not, because it doesn't seem to be getting anywhere near those levels of abuse here and it would be a shame to lose it.
It also has an implication for jobs and employment. These aren't just faceless employees, they are real people with real lives. I was at Manchester Piccadilly train station last summer and got talking to a chap who worked as a maintenance and relocation/recovery unit. He had an e-bike towing a trailer capable of carrying around 6 hire bikes and rode around picking up bikes for repair and shuttling good bikes back to hotspots where usage was high. Probably not the best paid job in the world, but a job and something to get up for in the morning. He also seemed genuinely interested in bikes and enjoyed the job (even in 'sunny' Manchester :rain:). He even commented that I should really replace my worn front tyre on my bike while we were chatting. If the bike hire scheme gets pulled then he and others like him will be out of work. The crime DOES have a consequence, and it isn't just to the profit/loss account at the big parent company!

Drago

Legendary Member
Cant help feeling this is is all just a bit of self created PR...

Mobike are in 200 cities, Manchester is their first outside Asia. There loss rate in Manchester is about 10%. They wont say what it is elsewhere.

Perhaps it's so minor elsewhere they've not bothered recording the data? Certaimly if it were that bad in other places a firm would question whether the business model was viable in the first place?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Perhaps the death penalty and the endemically corrupt judicial system might be a part of that? Personally, I prefer stolen bikes to arbitrary execution.

(Adding with haste: No, I don't mean they execute people for stealing bikes, just that arbitrary authoritarianism is not a model for us to emulate)
Having lived and worked there I can say that it isn't the judicial system or sentences.

It's about the culture of respect for property and the importance of family. Having a criminal record in China has a huge stigma associated with it

Alan O

Über Member
Having lived and worked there I can say that it isn't the judicial system or sentences.

It's about the culture of respect for property and the importance of family. Having a criminal record in China has a huge stigma associated with it
I expect that's big part of it, yes, having lived in Asia myself among similar stigma. But doesn't social stigma itself arise from actual social necessity? In a society in which punishment for crime is severe and often arbitrary, with no independent judiciary, and where families are often harassed for the criminality of their members, I can see how such social stigma can easily arise.

As an example, Thailand is the Asian country I know best, and there is genuine social stigma there surrounding disrespect for the King - and it really is genuine. But isn't that surely a result of generations of harsh punishment for showing disrespect?

(Updated: 13:03)

Last edited:
I particularly liked this part of the article

Chief Supt Wasim Chaudhry from Greater Manchester Police, said: "Our officers are able to check the legitimate use of the Mobike system and we will investigate reports of suspected theft and vandalism just like we would if someone made a report about their own bike."

So in other words, they're just not going to bother?

FishFright

More wheels than sense
We live in a country where the Police funding has been slashed so badly that moral has hit rock bottom and they don't bother investigating non violent crimes unless it's an easy prosecution. The scrotes know this well and don't give a toss about the low low risk of being done unless a cop actually catches them at it. So minor crimes like this are becoming the norm.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The indiscipline and disrespect happen because there's no fear of a random catch. It's the same reason why I'm pretty sure drink and drug driving are increasing in rural areas.

This is why we can't wait to move away and further north.

We have a dockless bike system in Southampton. It’s had similar issues. Unfortunately scum will be scum. The guy behind the scheme down here isn’t quitting though.

Top Bottom