York Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am hoping for Sunday as I would love to get out on the bike for a good ride but I can not do Saturday.

Arch said:
I'm up for that.

I'm assuming Sunday's just weren't possible this time - maybe next time we'll make sure it is a Sunday? (I'd suggest Spandex plan one, but I fear he'd have us going at some fearful pace and envying his legs....:laugh:)

:laugh:

I would love to plan a ride but I am just trying to keeping on top of work it just keeps on coming unless you all can wait until mid October?:smile::biggrin:

OP
OP
T

Tinytwin

spandex said:
:eek:

I would love to plan a ride but I am just trying to keeping on top of work it just keeps on coming unless you all can wait until mid October?;):eek:

There is no reason the ride cannot be re-ridden in October, and hopefully more rides will be organised along the way, before the weather turns too cold.
It would be good to organise a ride to which member's wives and girlfriends would be encouraged to come as there seems to be a shortage of the fairer sex on the rides. We are usually outnumbered by 15 to 3 or 4 at times! Not that I am complaining. An easy route along the old railway line to Selby and back, perhaps, or is that just too tame? :ohmy:

Bokonon

Über Member
I am trying to persuade 'Jelly Mould' to come along to this ride, but he'll most likely be arriving by car if he does come. Is there suitable parking near the start of the ride? Failing that, I will most likely be cycling in from Leeds on the B1224 (through Acomb.) -I think I have seen signs to park and ride on the junction with the A1237 - is it feasible to park there and I can collect him on the way in?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Bokonon said:
I am trying to persuade 'Jelly Mould' to come along to this ride, but he'll most likely be arriving by car if he does come. Is there suitable parking near the start of the ride? Failing that, I will most likely be cycling in from Leeds on the B1224 (through Acomb.) -I think I have seen signs to park and ride on the junction with the A1237 - is it feasible to park there and I can collect him on the way in?

Park and ride is a good way to park up in York, esp on a Saturday. Riding in from almost any of the sites is easily do-able.

The one signposted from A1237 junction - do you mean the junction with the A64, or the B1224? It'll either be the Askham Bar one, or Rawcliffe Bar - if the latter you can ride into town down the river side cycle path, if you don't mind cattle grids....

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Yes I could do with some pointers to parking (one of the advantages of sunday is the free parking) as I'll be drving up if plans work out, preferbaly cheap / or a good off street for free?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Tinytwin said:
There is no reason the ride cannot be re-ridden in October, and hopefully more rides will be organised along the way, before the weather turns too cold.
It would be good to organise a ride to which member's wives and girlfriends would be encouraged to come as there seems to be a shortage of the fairer sex on the rides. We are usually outnumbered by 15 to 3 or 4 at times! Not that I am complaining. An easy route along the old railway line to Selby and back, perhaps, or is that just too tame? ;)

That sounds good. I think we've more or less managed a ride (or for July, a camping holiday) every month since May, and it would be nice to keep it up, even if shorter daylight leads to shorter rides, and a more localised group for a month or two.

Nowt wrong with Selby and back, I reckon, might be ideal for the winter months to have a few shorter routes with plenty of scope for stopping at village pubs/cafes etc to warm up....

Here's a link for the park and rides, Bokonon:

http://www.york.gov.uk/parking/ride/

HelenD123

Guru
Arch said:
That sounds good. I think we've more or less managed a ride (or for July, a camping holiday) every month since May, and it would be nice to keep it up, even if shorter daylight leads to shorter rides, and a more localised group for a month or two.

Nowt wrong with Selby and back, I reckon, might be ideal for the winter months to have a few shorter routes with plenty of scope for stopping at village pubs/cafes etc to warm up....

We're hoping to arrange something for 12th September for the Tour of Britain aren't we? I think the plan was to meet in Pocklington for the sprint section then head to York hopefully in time to see the finish. Unfortunately it's a Saturday again:sad:.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Arch said:

Cycling with Park & Ride

Free cycle parking is available at all Park & Ride sites for those who want to take advantage of the fast bus link into the city. Alternatively, you can park your car at a site (Grimston Bar, Rawcliffe Bar or Designer Outlet only) and cycle the rest of the way into the city. :

Thats me sorted then -all being well

Andy / Shaun are you still going / how you getting there?

OP
OP
T

Tinytwin

craigwend said:
Yes I could do with some pointers to parking (one of the advantages of sunday is the free parking) as I'll be drving up if plans work out, preferbaly cheap / or a good off street for free?

I sometimes park up Stockton Lane (come in down the Malton Road, off the A64 and turn left at the 2nd roundabout at Heworth Green), or the Huntington Road, just before the railway bridge (coming in from the ring road - A1237). I am not familiar with areas on the other side of York. At 9.00 am, you should not have too much difficulty with traffic. I wouldn't leave it much later. Depart via the Hull road (A1059) to avoid the snarl-up you will encounter on the A1237 ring road on the way back.

Arch

Married to Night Train
craigwend said:
Cycling with Park & Ride

Free cycle parking is available at all Park & Ride sites for those who want to take advantage of the fast bus link into the city. Alternatively, you can park your car at a site (Grimston Bar, Rawcliffe Bar or Designer Outlet only) and cycle the rest of the way into the city. :

Thats me sorted then -all being well

Andy / Shaun are you still going / how you getting there?

Hmm, I had no idea there was any restriction on which ones you could cycle in from. Not sure how they'd know what you did, unless they watch every car arriving to see the occupants onto a bus...

Anyway, Grimston, Rawcliffe or Designer Outlet are all fine to ride in from. At least the Minster is a fairly good landmark when you get into the middle and are looking for the start...

For anyone who hasn't joined us at York before, we usually meet at the West End of the Minster - that's the opposite end to the one covered in scaffolding. There are some benches to one side, where we tend to gather....

Top Bottom