FNRttC York to Hull Friday Night Ride - 23rd June 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
My plans are laid:
  • Wednesday ride to Grantchester and and stay with friends
  • ride to Louth on Thursday
  • ride to York on Friday ready for the night ride
  • after breakfast on Saturday check in to the AirBnB apartment where Lonica will have arrived Friday night
  • leave Monday morning and ride to Peterborough for the 1908 back to London

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I've been given clearance from Mrs B for this ride, but as she is planning on going to theatre that afternoon, I need to be back early (ish) :rolleyes: in the afternoon for parental duties. Could I have a word from the wise please? If I go for a return train at 9.40 is this going to bugger up my breakfast, or I am better going for the train an hour later? - I can't do without breakfast, but can secure brownie points with an accurate, (or as accurate as I can expect from Transpennine Express), and earlier return time.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
If I go for a return train at 9.40 is this going to bugger up my breakfast, or I am better going for the train an hour later?
I guess it will be Spoons for breakfast, & the last time it ran, it was FA cup final day & Hull were playing so it was rather busy, but this year I reckon you will be fine, depending what you want for breakfast, bar opens at 8am, but doesn't serve beer till 9am :blush:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
My plans are laid:
  • Wednesday ride to Grantchester and and stay with friends
  • ride to Louth on Thursday
  • ride to York on Friday ready for the night ride
  • after breakfast on Saturday check in to the AirBnB apartment where Lonica will have arrived Friday night
  • leave Monday morning and ride to Peterborough for the 1908 back to London
Whereas my plans are....
Thursday: Train to the smoke. 2nd night of Kraftwerk's three night stint at the Albert Hall. Overnight at the LSE Bankside Hall.
Friday: Train to York, ride to the mates in Newton on Ouse, then back into York for the ride
Saturday morning: ride back to Newton after breakfast.
Sunday afternoon: Train south.

Shaun

Founder
I've got the option of arriving around 8:30pm -or- with an hour or so before the start (assuming a set-off time around midnight?) - so if there's a bunch of you who are going to be in York earlier on and I can gate-crash a pub visit for a pint or two and a natter, I'm up for it and will get the earlier train ... :cheers:

kimble

Veteran
Whereas my plans are....
Thursday: Train to the smoke. 2nd night of Kraftwerk's three night stint at the Albert Hall. Overnight at the LSE Bankside Hall.
Friday: Train to York, ride to the mates in Newton on Ouse, then back into York for the ride
Saturday morning: ride back to Newton after breakfast.
Sunday afternoon: Train south.

And mine are...
Friday: Train to York, trundle over to the Knavesmire, pitch tent. Possible faffing at CrinklyDen. Achilles, lungs and weather permitting, join ride.
Saturday: Some sort of train back to York. Not take the piss by attempting to ride it. Wash, snooze, etc. To be ready for...
Saturday Evening: The traditional 6pm VeloVison Wacky Races ride to clarion's local (just outside the orbit of Saturn). Back to the tent, collapse, die.
Sunday: Wander about the rally being sociable and/or hiding from weather.
Monday morning: Train back to Middle Earth.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I've got the option of arriving around 8:30pm -or- with an hour or so before the start (assuming a set-off time around midnight?) - so if there's a bunch of you who are going to be in York earlier on and I can gate-crash a pub visit for a pint or two and a natter, I'm up for it and will get the earlier train ... :cheers:
How you getting there Shaun? I finish work at 7:30pm, so was going through on train & arriving in York just after 9 (it might be cheaper if you travel with me :okay:)

Bazzer

I'd be up for a meet. The train I had initially planned got me in at the nothing time of 10.30, so had been thinking of an earlier one and getting off at an earlier stop and riding into York.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
How you getting there Shaun? I finish work at 7:30pm, so was going through on train & arriving in York just after 9 (it might be cheaper if you travel with me :okay:)

Can I be included in your group * & will they let 3 bikes on ? ( * Cheap tickets )

kimble

Veteran
And mine are...
Friday: Train to York, trundle over to the Knavesmire, pitch tent. Possible faffing at CrinklyDen. Achilles, lungs and weather permitting, join ride.

Let's make that "Achilles, lungs and arse permitting". Stupid road rash.

Bazzer

Train tickets booked, although something of a farce at Deansgate station:
Me: (Having made sure there was no one I was holding up) I'd like to book a ticket from Warrington to York for the evening of 23 June and a return for the following day from Hull.
Ticket Office: But it's peak period.
Me: No it isn't I am travelling after peak period.
Ticket Office: Yes it is
Me:No it isn't I am travelling at 19.45
Ticket Office: It's peak period now. Can't you go to Oxford Road (1/2 a mile along the road) where there are are four windows.
Me: (Looking around) There is no one here.
Ticket Office: Well there might be soon. Trains are coming in all the time. (For those who do not know the station, it has two platforms, albeit one stop short of a major station)
Me: But there is still no one here
Ticket Office: But there could be soon. Can't you book your tickets at Warrington?
Me: Oh FFS :scratch:
Finally sorted the tickets at Warrington :thumbsup:

Last edited:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Train tickets booked, although something of a farce at Deansgate station:
Me: (Having made sure there was no one I was holding up) I'd like to book a ticket from Warrington to York for the evening of 23 June and a return for the following day from Hull.
Ticket Office: But it's peak period.
Me: No it isn't I am travelling after peak period.
Ticket Office: Yes it is
Me:No it isn't I am travelling at 19.45
Ticket Office: It's peak period now. Can't you go to Oxford Road (1/2 a mile along the road) where there are are four windows.
Me: (Looking around) There is no one here.
Ticket Office: Well there might be soon. Trains are coming in all the time. (For those who do not know the station, it has two platforms, albeit one stop short of a major station)
Me: But there is still no one here
Ticket Office: But there could be soon. Can't you book your tickets at Warrington?
Me: Oh FFS :scratch:
Finally sorted the tickets at Warrington :thumbsup:
What a plank he was.....

Top Bottom