YOU can get slower at cycling! Here's how.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

freiston

Veteran
I opened the link expecting an article about the pleasures of taking time and enjoying the scenery on a leisurely bike ride - I was hoping for a "kick back" against the seemingly predominant "cycling is a sport/exercise regime" attitude.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
24 Ensure you apply the brakes at all times

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
27) Transport a length of motorcycle chain and a Chubb padlock slung over your neck, with two more Chubbs in your rucksack. Don't ask me how I know this slows you down..:rolleyes:

OP
OP
Cycling_Samurai

Cycling_Samurai

28) tether a slow cyclist to your bike (also the tandum bike qualifies).

I've passed many a tandum bike. Especially up hill. Mostly men and women with the woman on the second position. Only once with two men. Haven't seen two women. I've not seen anyone tether a bike to a bike. But I have seen a skateboard pulled.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
29 Sit behind @Drago on his Cindy bike with the pink tassels.

31. Your children develop a cough and temperature and need to go for yet another PCR test (no 7; and all negative so far).

yello

(What number we up to?) - Don't give a shoot about all that stuff and just enjoy what you do.

Took me ages to learn that lesson, even though I thought I didn't listen to the train harder/ride faster advice in the first place.

When you ride, particularly when starting out, there's an understandable seduction to all things bike; you like riding and magazines are full of training tips, nutritional advice, etc etc etc. So you get lured in, thinking that's what riding a bike is about. And, for you, it's not. It can have the opposite effect and destroy your pleasure.

So forget it. Ignore it. Do what you do (fast or slow) and enjoy. Of course, if you're into 'ride like a pro' then by all means fill your boots. Go for it. But for pootlers like me, people that enjoy the simple pleasure of stopping for a pee and listening to the quiet that surrounds you, then a great deal of the bookshelf advice is simply not applicable.

Top Bottom