You cannot outrun or ride a bad diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Fun trying though.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
blamed the food industry for encouraging the belief that exercise could counteract the impact of unhealthy eating.
[...]
messaging that is coming to the public suggests you can eat what you like as long as you exercise.

You know ... perhaps I've not been listening, but I've not been getting that message. I'm wondering which bits of the food industry he's thinking of. Maybe the sports energy drink people?

Wafer

Veteran
Is that article an early contender for the no shoot Sherlock award of the year?
Clearly not judging by the comments on the article and some of those here.
Not all calories are equal, in cases you're better off eating a higher calorie product than a 'low-fat/no-fat' equivalent.
That's been the big lie(apparently based on some fairly flaky research years ago), counting calories is pointless if you don't consider where they come from and what form they take.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Not all calories are equal
From my understanding, all calories are calories (more or less, anyway) but some foods are more likely to leave you wanting more of them than feeling full. And the people selling them to us would rather we didn't realise this.

Tin Pot

Guru
From my understanding, all calories are calories (more or less, anyway) but some foods are more likely to leave you wanting more of them than feeling full. And the people selling them to us would rather we didn't realise this.
In short, no.

Dan B

Disengaged member
In short, no.
How so?
Coca Cola, who spent $3.3 billion on advertising in 2013, pushes a message that ‘all calories count’; they associate their products with sport, suggesting it is ok to consume their drinks as long as you exercise. However science tells us this is misleading and wrong. It is where the calories come from that is crucial. Sugar calories promote fat storage and hunger. Fat calories induce fullness or ‘satiation’.

screenman

Legendary Member
Takes a minute to eat a doughnut, takes 30 minutes of hard excersise or more to burn off. Not many people excersise, plenty eat doughnuts.

Drago

Legendary Member
not exercise but diet is key to weight loss

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32417699
The big problem is, I know someone who did exactly that.

He was a big sweaty lad, diabetic, a real heiffer. One day he decided he had enough so started running. Not far at first, but eventually worked up to some big daily mileages. Hasn't changed his diet one bit and still drinks like a fish, all he did was start exercising to a high degree. Adios to a third of his bodyweight.

Top Bottom