You cannot outrun or ride a bad diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lee1980sim

So does that mean no chippy today?
But it's Friday...

yello

We think along the same lines Tin Pot.

We're not simple furnaces. The calorific value of something doesn't really tell us anything about how the human digestive system will process it. Think about it; petrol has a calorific value, as does a length of 4x2. Nobody suggests you literally 'fuel' your ride on BP green energy eco diesel! Clearly, the body is doing something different with calories; dependant on a myriad of factors.

I think calorific values are broadly useful in that they give a consistent means of comparing food stuffs. It's kind of arbitrary but you can see how it might be useful.

I think the 'calories in, calories out' message is given (and repeated) because it's simple to remember, has an intuitive appeal and, broadly speaking, works for a lot of people. It's a rule of thumb, like '5-a-day' fruit and veg.

I don't however think it leads to an accurate picture of what actually happens
in our digestive systems. That's maybe a moot point, given that that simplistic model does work for many wanting to lose weight, but I think it fails others who are genuinely trying, doing everything 'right' and still not shifting the kilos.

Wafer

Veteran
How do you mean?
Some of the other posts may have already covered this but basically just because you eat something that contains say 500 calories, does not mean you put on 500 calories. It's too simplistic a view.

And I've read something similar about cholesterol. Just because you consume something with a lot of it, does not mean you absorb/gain it.

The article is also quite specific in that it says the diet thing is about obesity. Exercise is of course another part of a healthy life style, but in terms of obesity itself, diet is far and away the biggest thing to get on top of. Unfortunately the things you might think are the right things to eat, may be the wrong things. Which is where it gets difficult for people to believe the science as it contradicts itself.

poynedexter

the questions to ask are thus:

why do we store body fat? how do we reduce body fat? these are chemical processes, not calories in and calories out maths. we have hormones which regulate fat storage, hunger, fullness. did you know that the fat in your belly is different from the fat in your food? the fat in your blood stream after eating is different from the fat in your belly too. in order to store fat, chemical changes happen to allow it. nothing to do with calories.

since we are all different, our hormone levels are different and the chemical reactions at the fat cell wall can vary.

excess eating or reduced eating of calories does not lead to fat change, unless the chemistry allows it. excess carbohydrate in the diet creates the perfect chemical enviroment to store fat because it promotes insulin release.

control your blood sugar, to control your weight. exercise for health.

Holy shoot this dieting stuff is like rocket science...........except astronauts tend to lose or gain weight rather quickly.

I eat when im hungry. When im hungry I eat what is available at the time and also try to choose food I like. Animals having being doing this since well before dinosaurs and it wasnt a problem for them, so its not a problem for me either.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I lost 3kg between January and March with no change in my diet or exercise "regime". Calories in vs out is definitely not the whole story

poynedexter

do animals count calories or eat processed food? no. (well domestic pets are fed processed food and many are obese). do animals get fat? not really, unless nature determins that they need to, to survive.

cals in vs cals out? i'm about the same weight this last year and have no idea of cals in or out. if i ate about 100 cals over each day, that would be 36500 cals per yr. i should be 10 lbs heavier. how much is 100 cals over a day, not much i'd say, so ive been pretty lucky to get the cals in out numbers.

some food our bodies will convert to stored fat, some it wont. food timing, food combinations and hormones are the major factor. avoid processed sugary foods, unless you are needing them as part of your racing and training. during hard exercise your body will be happy to use it as fuel. off the bike, real food will make your less hungry, have fewer cravings and encourage fat loss, regardless of calories. your energy will increase and health improve.

eat butter eggs fish cheese meat yogurt oats fruits veg nuts seeds salads milk.
avoid sugar choclate crisps biscuits bread breakfast cereals (save porridge) fast food places alcohol fruit juice fizzy drinks sports drinks
an odd dip into the avoid list does no harm now and then.

screenman

Legendary Member
I lost 9 or 10lb over Xmas without even getting out of bed, I got the calories in bit right for weight loss that is for sure. Certainly not healthy.

Top Bottom