You'll always get home some how

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
I happened to make this remark on the "cycling gear" thread only a few hours ago and today came up with the proof.

I was on my second ride of the year. Only an hour and was just a few miles from home on a very quiet country back road, appropriately called the Hartley Bottom Road.

Just taking a gentle bend then woosh, my front wheel went and down I went. Took a heavy impact to the head and thigh, sliding across the road. A bit dazed I lay there for a while then managed to unclip myself and tried to stand up. Realised my right leg was unable to bear any weight and sat down again. Not a car went past for 15 mins while i pondered on what i should do. Try and get up again or ring home?

Then a car came past and stopped and offered their help. They happened to carers and medical trained! They had to shoulder lift me into their car and managed to sqeeze the bike into the back and then drove me home. Real angels they were and proved the theory that you'll always get home somehow.

Unfortunately, though, still could not walk and an ambulance was called leading to a 5 hour visit to the A&E. Xray showed nothing broken, just soft tissue damage, but still cannot walk, so sleeping down stairs tonight.

Have had a few other mechanical disasters in the past with some get you home stories. Will add these later

Cheers keith

PS wont mention that i managed to crack my helmet in todays fall.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
Glad you're still able to have a moan. Did you get their names by any chance, to say thanks at a later date?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
........and people still refuse to wear helmets.
:rolleyes:

As a kid I slipped on ice and banged my head while doing my paper round. Must have had quite bad concussion because I didn't remember anything until much later in the day when I did feel quite rough. I somehow managed to deliver the rest of my papers, get home and make my way to school. Apparently I still successfully delivered the correct papers to the right houses?

Maybe I should have been wearing a helmet......

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ouch. GWS

I had an incident a couple of years ago. I was fine but my rear wheel was pringled. I skidded to a halt in front of a nice man in a Landover. He was on his way to help his sister move house, really near where I live (about 15 miles away). So I got a chauffeur service home.

By the way, on the subject of protective gear. When I had this off I was wearing rufty tufty MTB shorts, not nimsy wimsy lycra. It saved my bum.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Sorry to hear of your woes @Sharky, sounds a sore one. Well done your rescuers though, a lot of people wouldn't even have noticed never mind rescued you. Hopefully you are back up the stairs tonight.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Helmet cracked, so probably failed to work as designed. Might not have hit head without its extra size and weight. We'll never really know but there's no evidence they work at population level. Get Well Soon.

Now can you all stop helmet trolling and get back to stories of getting home, please?

Only one I've got is of walking home carrying the bike miles after the front hub bearing collapsed, which isn't that impressive. I do usually carry a kitchen sink of tools, but not cone spanners.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The helmet doesn't have a rigid shell with shock-absorbing inner like a motorcycle helmet so it will snap especially if impacted from the side. The important point was that there was some styrofoam between your head and the road, spreading the load and absorbing some shock. How would you ever gather evidence that helmets prevent head injuries?

If my bike was unrideable miles from home I would shoulder it and stick my thumb out; a van or Land Rover would soon pass and when drivers can see the reason for your request for a lift many will stop as most people are still decent and willing to help. When I used to hitch to climb in Scotland I always made sure my climbing rope was visible draped across the top of my rucsac and I never used to wait long.

Top Bottom