You'll always get home some how

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Carrying ID with me is something i should do, but often i dont . The one time i did need it a few years ago, was on my commute to work and luckily, I was carrying my wallet and driving licence. The police were able to contact the Mrs and bring my bike home, while I was treated to a nice ride in a helicopter!
I don't carry ID as such. I've always assumed the police or ambulance crew would be able to find out who you are by looking through the contacts on your phone.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I don't carry ID as such. I've always assumed the police or ambulance crew would be able to find out who you are by looking through the contacts on your phone.
What if it's locked? It's very common to lock smart phones these days, for obvious security reasons. But this prevents emergency staff from unlocking your phone. If they somehow had a special unlock code for all phones, then this poses a major security risk, because the wrong people might find out this code. This to me is a good reason to carry some Id, even if it's just a piece of paper with your name and an emergency contact's name and number.
I'm no expert on the above, by the way, just honestly curious about how the need to lock phones is balanced against the need to contact your emergency contact.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

Depends on whether you have a security lock on your phone I presume. I have so I'm relying on someone getting my details from the various cards I have in my phone holder. Of course if someone finds me and nicks the cards then I'm in even more trouble than I though I was

I wonder if an outfit like Strava could help in extremis? I'm found side of the road, no ID. I always record my ride on my garmin so someone could get the GPX and see where I started from. A bit of faffing by Strava could identify me I suspect. Of course if the person who has nicked my cards also nicks my garmin then I'm stuffed

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
What if it's locked? It's very common to lock smart phones these days, for obvious security reasons. But this prevents emergency staff from unlocking your phone. If they somehow had a special unlock code for all phones, then this poses a major security risk, because the wrong people might find out this code. This to me is a good reason to carry some Id, even if it's just a piece of paper with your name and an emergency contact's name and number.
I'm no expert on the above, by the way, just honestly curious about how the need to lock phones is balanced against the need to contact your emergency contact.
I'm assuming everyone has an 8 year old Nokia pay as you go relic like mine. Where you press Now Press Function Key Unlock, and you're in.;)

bruce1530

Guru
What if it's locked?

Posted this in the "accident advice" discussion, but worth repeating....,

If you have an iPhone, open the “Health” app, then select “Medical ID” (bottom right) then “edit”.

You can add emergency contact numbers, important medical details, allergies, details of medications etc. For example, mine contains the mobile numbers for my wife and daughters, and notes that i am diabetic.

You then select “Show when locked”.

That means that even if the phone is locked, someone can press the “emergency” button, select “Medical ID”, and it’ll display that info, and let them call the emergency contacts.

People like the Ambulance Service will know to check this. It’s also increasingly being mentioned when people do First Aid training.

Last edited:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
OK, I learned something new.
I found out that on the Samsung Galaxy S5 (the phone I have), you can configure a list of up to 4 contacts to which an emergency message is sent if you press the Power button 3 times in quick succession, which works even when the phone is locked. One would hope that our emergency services actually know about this feature. In fact, they'd have to be familiar with each phone brand/model's particular approach to emergency contacts.
Note that this doesn't allow emergency services to call your emergency contacts: all that occurs is that the phone sends an automated message to these contacts, containing a link to Google Maps to show where you were when the message was sent.

classic33

Leg End Member
OK, I learned something new.
I found out that on the Samsung Galaxy S5 (the phone I have), you can configure a list of up to 4 contacts to which an emergency message is sent if you press the Power button 3 times in quick succession, which works even when the phone is locked.
One would hope that our emergency services actually know about this feature. In fact, they'd have to be familiar with each phone brand/model's particular approach to emergency contacts.
Note that this doesn't allow emergency services to call your emergency contacts: all that occurs is that the phone sends an automated message to these contacts, containing a link to Google Maps to show where you were when the message was sent.
Network dependent or on the handset?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Network dependent or on the handset?
No, it's network-dependent.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
There's some careless/clumsy beggars posting here! Anyone reading this thread might get the idea that cycling was dangerous....... :rolleyes:
It's a list of silly things that have happened over a long time and many of them mechanical, it could also have been a list of the stupid ways you have managed to injure yourself whilst watching TV on the sofa;)

wonderloaf

Veteran
I've just seen/read this post. How did you go on? Are you in hospital(i presume you are)? Was it a complete snap or a hairline fracture? Anyway, get well soon!:smile:
@Accy cyclist : thanks for the good wishes, much appreciated, I'm actually laying in my hospital bed as I'm typing this post It was a complete clean break of the thigh bone below the ball joint, so have had an operation to reattach with a couple of Titanium screws and a plate. The consultant said the op went very well and I should make a full recovery, mainly due to the fact that for a 57 year old I am very fit and well (mainly due to the cycling). Started the physiotherapy yesterday and hope to get discharged today, so now the long haul of post-op recovery begins, hopefully in few months time I'll be able to get back on the bike. It can't come round quick enough, at least it'll be around spring time and the weather should be better and I can go for gentle pootles around the countryside....that is if Mrs W let's me back on the bike! Might have to look into getting a road tricycle, do these exist?
Luckily my employers are very understanding so don't have that worry, so can just concentrate on getting back to normal.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There's some careless/clumsy beggars posting here! Anyone reading this thread might get the idea that cycling was dangerous....... :rolleyes:
I'm feeling like someone else is getting my share of the ambulance service ;)

I've been to A&E three times that I remember: once from running, once Scouts and once dinner. Never cycling, so it seems safer than eating dinner to me!

wonderloaf

Veteran
I'm feeling like someone else is getting my share of the ambulance service ;)

I've been to A&E three times that I remember: once from running, once Scouts and once dinner. Never cycling, so it seems safer than eating dinner to me!
You shouldn't have said that ..:smile:

Top Bottom