You'll always get home some how

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I hope your leg has come back to life now.
Riding in winter is always risky which must be why many of us don't chance it and wait for the spring.
Riding on turbos or rollers in winter is much safer even if boring.
Get well soon.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Wow, on the way back from a picnic with you guys he discovered girls. That was sudden. :smile:
It could happen to any of us at any time. For now I am happy with my bikes......

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Telephone call for Mr Pot!
marijuana_meme_willy_wonka.jpg

'twas just a bit of balance... something that users seem to be disproportionately lacking. ;)

classic33

Leg End Member
Years ago my headset fell apart going down Ventnor hill on IOW....granted it was a rubbish cheap bike but even the bearing runs were completely toast....v scary at time as loaded up with tent etc etc. LBC put new one in and on our way.
Left my MTB stx derailleur about 4 ft up a tree in the New Forest
miles from the car as well...long walk but a nice one!
Which tree?

mjr

drove through the lovely countryside to a garage where I borrowed some tools.
Actually, that reminds me about two things that happened touring Holland - I'd foolishly knocked my headset loose bumping up a kerb in Manningtree in my rush to get into De'Ath's bakery and it slowly deteriorated. I stopped at the Giant shop in Katwijk which had a big enough wrench to make a temporary fix and then Van Dam in Noordwijkerhout had the right pair of wrenches - neither wanted more than coins in the beer fund jar. The rack on a friend's bike lost a bolt somewhere later that day and H&J Motorparts Rijsenhout gave us a bolt to secure it, as well as telling us that we hadn't missed the ferry but it was under repair. Both bikes did another few hundred miles after those repairs before returning home.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Glad you are ok!

Mod hat on - please leave all discussion of the benefits or not of wearing helmets to the helmet thread. Further replies on the topic of helmets will either be deleted or moved there. Thank you.

It seems for once, everyone was being nice and sensible about the topic for once. The Christmas spirit must still be around.

Johnno260

Veteran
I happened to make this remark on the "cycling gear" thread only a few hours ago and today came up with the proof.

I was on my second ride of the year. Only an hour and was just a few miles from home on a very quiet country back road, appropriately called the Hartley Bottom Road.

Just taking a gentle bend then woosh, my front wheel went and down I went. Took a heavy impact to the head and thigh, sliding across the road. A bit dazed I lay there for a while then managed to unclip myself and tried to stand up. Realised my right leg was unable to bear any weight and sat down again. Not a car went past for 15 mins while i pondered on what i should do. Try and get up again or ring home?

Then a car came past and stopped and offered their help. They happened to carers and medical trained! They had to shoulder lift me into their car and managed to sqeeze the bike into the back and then drove me home. Real angels they were and proved the theory that you'll always get home somehow.

Unfortunately, though, still could not walk and an ambulance was called leading to a 5 hour visit to the A&E. Xray showed nothing broken, just soft tissue damage, but still cannot walk, so sleeping down stairs tonight.

Have had a few other mechanical disasters in the past with some get you home stories. Will add these later

Cheers keith

PS wont mention that i managed to crack my helmet in todays fall.

Glad you got home! my front wheel went but I managed to avoid a spill, blind luck not skill.

Only damage I had was my bank and a sore shoulder from carrying the bike home, I dropped my Mojito lid I think it's ok.

Last time I was stranded I got passed lots, then a guy with a camper and bikes on the bike stopped to make sure I was ok and offer his assistance which was very kind.

mjr

It seems for once, everyone was being nice and sensible about the topic for once. The Christmas spirit must still be around.
What are you trying to imply about the cause of @Sharky's fall? :eek: ;)

Dave7

Legendary Member
Ouch. GWS

I had an incident a couple of years ago. I was fine but my rear wheel was pringled. I skidded to a halt in front of a nice man in a Landover. He was on his way to help his sister move house, really near where I live (about 15 miles away). So I got a chauffeur service home.

By the way, on the subject of protective gear. When I had this off I was wearing rufty tufty MTB shorts, not nimsy wimsy lycra. It saved my bum.
Many years ago I came off my motor bike on a gravel road and slid along on my bum.........no leathers.
I still remember lying on the hospital bed while the nurse picked pieces of gravel out of my right cheek :sad:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Just had a similar experience, but I've broken my hip , just waiting for the op to fix.

Glad you came off lightly, GWS.
Good job you were wearing a lid, could have been much worse!

Does this make a me roadie, now I've suffered for my art?

I've just seen/read this post. How did you go on? Are you in hospital(i presume you are)? Was it a complete snap or a hairline fracture? Anyway, get well soon!:smile:

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
Carrying ID with me is something i should do, but often i dont . The one time i did need it a few years ago, was on my commute to work and luckily, I was carrying my wallet and driving licence. The police were able to contact the Mrs and bring my bike home, while I was treated to a nice ride in a helicopter!

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
I've just seen/read this post. How did you go on? Are you in hospital(i presume you are)? Was it a complete snap or a hairline fracture? Anyway, get well soon!:smile:

Thanks.

X-rays showed nothing broken and I didn't have to stay in hospital overnight. Just soft tissue damage I was told, but still hobbling around with crutches. Beginning to think that it wasn't just a blow to the hip. When I fell, my right foot stayed clipped in and I think the leg took a bit of a twisting as I slid with my bike across the road. Just feels like muscle damage and any quick movement is agony. Still it is getting a bit better day by day.
Cheers Keith

Top Bottom