You'll always get home some how

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
How would you ever gather evidence that helmets prevent head injuries?
Statistics. I'm sure there must be enough data, spread across the various rider categories, to either support or undermine the case for helmet use? The very fact that these irrefutable numbers are not available leads me to the inevitable conclusion that the figures do not actually back up the idea that a helmet will save your life.
Sorry for helping to detail this thread and turning it into a h••••t debate.... :blush:
When I used to hitch to climb in Scotland I always made sure my climbing rope was visible draped across the top of my rucsac and I never used to wait long.
Lol! So you clearly displayed the fact that you had enough rope with which to tie them up before stealing their car but they still gave you a lift :wacko:

OP
OP
Sharky

Sharky

Guru
I've experienced failed freewheels several times. Once on a club run, it happened to a mate. We managed to tow him home for lthe last 15 miles.

It happened to me on a dark commute once. Used a toestrap to wrap it round the spokes and sprockets and turned into a fixed wheel. Just got home before it disintegrated.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I was taken home by a lovely lady once, I'd come off my horse (who had bolted, it wasn't me being useless). Horse was all grazed where he had fallen at a T junction as it appears that 30mph and a 90 degree turning when wearing metal shoes is a smidge tricky.
A lady dashed out of her house, picked me up, her daughter caught the horse who had gone into someone's garden. Having patched me up, she loaded horse into a horsebox and drove me and him back home again.
I took a thank you card and a large box of Terry's All Gold to her a couple of days later. Horse was fine and the graze healed quickly, I was a bit bruised.

PS, I was wearing a helmet, well, jockey skull cap before they were as popular as they are now.

Drago

Legendary Member
Helmet cracked, so probably failed to work as designed. Might not have hit head without its extra size and weight. We'll never really know but there's no evidence they work at population level. Get Well Soon.

Now can you all stop helmet trolling and get back to stories of getting home, please?
Telephone call for Mr Pot!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I was a youth, my mate sheared his crank while we were on tour. He was the local sporting hero (rugby captain etc) and I was the weedy swot (nerds hadn't been invented then). Nonetheless I pushed him (while he pedalled with his other leg) the remaining miles to the nearest town (Grantham I think).

Back in that era, one of my most memorable days cycling was out in Pembrokeshire. My chain broke (I'd bodged fitting it) so I went to a farm to borrow a hammer and punch to sort it out. The farmer was on his way into the local town so he loaded me and bike onto the back of his trailer, gave me a cup of tea and drove through the lovely countryside to a garage where I borrowed some tools.

When I was a youth, my mate sheared his crank while we were on tour. He was the local sporting hero (rugby captain etc) and I was the weedy swot (nerds hadn't been invented then). Nonetheless I pushed him (while he pedalled with his other leg) the remaining miles to the nearest town (Grantham I think).

Back in that era, one of my most memorable days cycling was out in Pembrokeshire. My chain broke (I'd bodged fitting it) so I went to a farm to borrow a hammer and punch to sort it out. The farmer was on his way into the local town so he loaded me and bike onto the back of his trailer, gave me a cup of tea and drove through the lovely countryside to a garage where I borrowed some tools.
Years ago my headset fell apart going down Ventnor hill on IOW....granted it was a rubbish cheap bike but even the bearing runs were completely toast....v scary at time as loaded up with tent etc etc. LBC put new one in and on our way.
Left my MTB stx derailleur about 4 ft up a tree in the New Forest miles from the car as well...long walk but a nice one!

Drago

Legendary Member
I recall as a kid, one of my cycling mis haps. Cycled many miles away for a picnic with two chums, and just as we set out for home got too close to one another and took out a load of spokes in each others wheels.

It would've been a long walk home, but a guy in a lorry tractor unit stopped, and our bikes ended up tied to the back of his cab and we got a free lift into Lerwick. Except for my mate Dean, who rode back on his own. Last we ever saw of him...

We were suitably impressed cos the truck was a Foden, a mans truck in the mid seventies.

I recall as a kid, one of my cycling mis haps. Cycled many miles away for a picnic with two chums, and just as we set out for home got too close to one another and took out a load of spokes in each others wheels.

It would've been a long walk home, but a guy in a lorry tractor unit stopped, and our bikes ended up tied to the back of his cab and we got a free lift into Lerwick. Except for my mate Dean, who rode back on his own. Last we ever saw of him...

We were suitably impressed cos the truck was a Foden, a mans truck in the mid seventies.
That last line is ominous!

Top Bottom