You'll never get me in Lycra...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
I know it's quite de rigueur to cycle in everyday clothes and when I first got back on the bike, that's exactly what I did. I actually hated the thought of a grown man cutting about in lycra but it slowly changed with the odd shirt then top but I was hooked the first time I wore bib shorts and realised how comfortable they were and now my wardrobe and drawer is busting with options especially for a winter commute. I mean, who doesn't appreciate thermal tights at 6am in January.

Sharky

Guru
There was a time before lycra was even thought of:-

1967 - Club Run.JPG

This was one of my first club runs from 1967. I took the picture and my dad is at the back smoking a cig and together with the chap on the right, smoking a pipe, were the founder members of this club. Not many of these still around. My dad passed away in '93 and I still have one of his cycling tops.

Slick

Guru

View attachment 424031

This was one of my first club runs from 1967. I took the picture and my dad is at the back smoking a cig and together with the chap on the right, smoking a pipe, were the founder members of this club. Not many of these still around. My dad passed away in '93 and I still have one of his cycling tops.
Great picture.

adamhearn

Veteran
I have been cycling about 7 years and have maybe 7 jerseys (couple for winter, couple from a cycle club and the remainder for summer) and 3 sets of bibs. There's no need to have that many even! You're 18 months in and you have [what looks like] 27 jerseys? I don't believe it says anything at all about cycling but more about yourself - buying to give yourself a rush/trying to impress (that is sadly quite common in cycling).

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Is this the norm?
No.

There's no earthly reason to waste hanging space on some which will never crease. Roll or fold them up and stuff them out of the way.

D

Deleted member 26715

A big blue Ikea bag makes a great laundry bin for lycra
Yes we also noticed that one day we had accidentally not taken the bag back after putting things in the car & that now is our laundry bag. I wonder how many they lose each year & how many they actually expect to lose.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

View attachment 424031

Brilliant stuff. Any chance of a pic of the jersey if you don't mind. Be nice to see.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have been cycling about 7 years and have maybe 7 jerseys (couple for winter, couple from a cycle club and the remainder for summer) and 3 sets of bibs. There's no need to have that many even! You're 18 months in and you have [what looks like] 27 jerseys? I don't believe it says anything at all about cycling but more about yourself - buying to give yourself a rush/trying to impress (that is sadly quite common in cycling).

I think that says a bit about you more than the other guy.

D

Deleted member 26715

Blimey, they only cost 50p.
You can buy them? Oh maybe I'm wrong then, maybe my wife bought it, I just presumed it had failed to be returned, if you can buy them doesn't that pose security a huge problem, how do they know when people load them into the car whether they are being stolen or whether the person owns them? Am I overthinking this?

Top Bottom