You'll never get me in Lycra...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
JhnBssll

JhnBssll

Veteran
I have been cycling about 7 years and have maybe 7 jerseys (couple for winter, couple from a cycle club and the remainder for summer) and 3 sets of bibs. There's no need to have that many even! You're 18 months in and you have [what looks like] 27 jerseys? I don't believe it says anything at all about cycling but more about yourself - buying to give yourself a rush/trying to impress (that is sadly quite common in cycling).

:laugh: Seems I've struck a nerve there, sorry dude :laugh:

Anyway, my expanding collection has at least in part been through necessity; I follow the 20deg wash with no softener instructions on the labels and don't like putting a nearly empty machine on. Nor do I like wearing the same item more than once before washing it because, well, that seems a bit gross. So I've got 5 baggy hi-vis jerseys for commuting, 4 short sleeved jerseys and 2 long sleeved jerseys. Am I doing it wrong? To get away with less I'd either need to cycle less during the week, ignore the washing instructions and put it in with something else or put the washing machine on every other day with 4 items in it; I don't really like the idea of any of those options :laugh:

Most of it is cheap stuff; the commuting tops were £8 each but do the job... I havent spent a fortune on it. The club kit was by far the priciest but to be fair its also the best fitting and has the nicest bum-pad... :shy:

tommaguzzi

Über Member
i have more cycling clothes than regular clothes. depending on the expected conditions and length of ride it can take me longer than Mrs T to decide what to wear before coing out.
i never say does my bum look big in this though.

You can buy them? Oh maybe I'm wrong then, maybe my wife bought it, I just presumed it had failed to be returned, if you can buy them doesn't that pose security a huge problem, how do they know when people load them into the car whether they are being stolen or whether the person owns them? Am I overthinking this?

You can buy the blue ones, the yellow ones are for using in the shop to carry your to-be-purchased items.

D

Deleted member 26715

You can buy the blue ones, the yellow ones are for using in the shop to carry your to-be-purchased items.
It shows how many times I go then, either that or I am more coloured blind then I actually thought I was, not sure that I have ever seen any yellow ones, but then again whenever I am made to go shopping I turn into Kevin & Perry.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I have been cycling about 7 years and have maybe 7 jerseys (couple for winter, couple from a cycle club and the remainder for summer) and 3 sets of bibs. There's no need to have that many even! You're 18 months in and you have [what looks like] 27 jerseys? I don't believe it says anything at all about cycling but more about yourself - buying to give yourself a rush/trying to impress (that is sadly quite common in cycling).
I had 3 bikes after one year's regular cycling :laugh:
It says about me that I embrace a new activity with enthusiasm ^_^

Sharky

Guru
Brilliant stuff. Any chance of a pic of the jersey if you don't mind. Be nice to see.

It's quite a "modern" top, but it must be at least 30 yrs old. Older than some of the members on CycleChat!
Still wear it occasionally, when my Gravesend tops are in the wash.

20180812_110922.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's quite a "modern" top, but it must be at least 30 yrs old. Older than some of the members on CycleChat!
Still wear it occasionally, when my Gravesend tops are in the wash.

View attachment 424052
As you probrably know, reds not my colour. But its pretty smart and classic looking nevertheless.

Alan O

Über Member
I've got half a dozen cycling jerseys, which are mostly labeled "100% polyster" - except for one Aldi Merino one which, unfortunately, makes my skin erupt into itchy redness. Some of the rest are still a bit too small for me, but I remain convinced they'll fit the slimmer me that is just around the corner.

But the clothing I feel most comfortable in is some long-sleeved cotton shirts I got at Aldi - I know people say cotton isn't supposed to be good, but it is for me.

Oh, and on the bottom, Primark polyester shorts for £4 a pair - no padding, good saddle, comfy bum.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
Got very little lycra stuff if any.Got loads of hi viz stuff though as I just don't trust the general idiots out there.

Got some shirts,never wear them.

My personal opinion is I don't think I look good in lycra so I wont wear it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

Along with a backside made from granite, you do suprise me on that one.

I've been cycling for over 50 years so its not suprising I'm hardy, these days I ride a couple of times a week, typicaly about 50-60 miles a ride. Before I retired I commuted by bike for about 30 years and also rode the Sunday club ride as well as Audax, charity rides and reliability trials.

Top Bottom