You'll never get me in Lycra...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
I was getting along nicely for years with a pair of skinny combat trousers and denim shorts, depending on the weather.
The combats fell apart eventually and I couldn't find a decent replacement.
So I took the jump into Lycra.

Couple of years on and it's pushing my " normal clothes" out the drawers.

First time I put a Lycra top and bottom on my wife said " you're not going out like that "

Now she buys the stuff for me.

nickAKA

Über Member
I was getting along nicely for years with a pair of skinny combat trousers and denim shorts, depending on the weather.
The combats fell apart eventually and I couldn't find a decent replacement.
So I took the jump into Lycra.

Couple of years on and it's pushing my " normal clothes" out the drawers.

First time I put a Lycra top and bottom on my wife said " you're not going out like that "

Now she buys the stuff for me.

It's a godsend for significant others tbh. Can't think of a celebratory gift to buy for me? Go to any online cycling store, find something made of lycra in the sale with a lobster emblem(?) on it, make purchase - job done. This seems to be how my wife does it nowadays, and I'm not complaining :laugh:

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
This was my mantra when I started back in to biking about 18 months ago. I really meant it too, I just didn't see the point.

Anyway, skip forwards to today and I have an entire wardrobe dedicated to the stuff with more on the way - I've just ordered some Bianchi owners club bib shorts and jersey :laugh:

View attachment 423997

Is this the norm? :wacko::laugh: What does your cycling wardrobe look like? :becool:
Is it cold where you are? there looks like a lot of longs and no shorts, or is it just my eyes.^_^

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Any decent distance I wear proper kit. School run and utility stuff I wear normal clothes.

However, touring with the kids this summer in the NL, I didn’t imagine we’d be doing silly distances, so I left my kit at home. I managed to get pinched by a fold between my undergarments and shorts. It turned into a saddle sore, which as you know can take a bit of work to sort out. Lesson learned after all these years.

I’m doing a long ride tomorrow so I’m wearing these:

054974E7-1543-4E43-ADE9-B9FB7FADB262.jpeg

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
It's a godsend for significant others tbh. Can't think of a celebratory gift to buy for me? Go to any online cycling store, find something made of lycra in the sale with a scorpion emblem on it, make purchase - job done. This seems to be how my wife does it nowadays, and I'm not complaining :laugh:
FTFY

Globalti

Legendary Member
I always wear full lycra, it's comfortable, aerodynamic and doesn't flap in the wind or feel clammy.

I wonder how lycra started out? As something different I bet. Pertex is made in Hebden Bridge by a factory that used to make it for typewriter ribbons.

It's strange but I've never felt the need to use Lycra either commuting or on tours: I tend to use cotton work trousers and never felt the need to change.

This may reflect the fact I ride rather slowly and don't go in for really long rides.

Mike_P

Guru
I wonder how lycra started out? As something different I bet. Pertex is made in Hebden Bridge by a factory that used to make it for typewriter ribbons.
According to Wikipedia its was invented in 1958 (1959 according to a reference it links) to by a chemist in Virginia USA and introduced for clothing purposes in 1962. The linked reference refers to its use in the 1960s ushering in an era of "comfortable, soft-support pantyhose and other intimate apparel" quickly followed by swimwear and then in 1968 for ski clothing (French Olympic ski team). Took until the 1970s to enter cycling clothing along with dancewear, tights, and stretch jeans.

Ron-da-Valli

It's a bleedin' miracle!
I used to wear loose touring type shorts made by Madison, back in the 1980's. After a 15 year break off the bike I took up cycling again 11 years ago and started wearing lycra shorts. I'm now looking to go back to looser tailored shorts. As I get older the lycra look is becoming a little unseemly.

Top Bottom