You'll never get me in Lycra...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mrs M

Guru
Nice drawers, Mrs M ;)
:ohmy:

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
This was my mantra when I started back in to biking about 18 months ago. I really meant it too, I just didn't see the point.

Anyway, skip forwards to today and I have an entire wardrobe dedicated to the stuff with more on the way - I've just ordered some Bianchi owners club bib shorts and jersey :laugh:

View attachment 423997

Is this the norm? :wacko::laugh: What does your cycling wardrobe look like? :becool:
You don't have enough, get the visa out as wiggle got a sale on..

I'm not showing my cycling wardrobe, but I have more bibs and leggings than you got jerseys :okay:

tommaguzzi

Über Member
for me it depends on the nature of the ride, the company im in.
if im commuting, going to the pub or mid week social rides, riding into town for shopping then its normal clothes. a shortish 10mile ride with number 1 daughter and her unfit husband ditto.
for 200k audax then i want to wear the best ive got for the expected conditions.
having said that i did the 2017 cyclechat 100 mile llandudno ride in jeans and a lumberjack shirt wearing crocs on my feet while riding a £5 BSO i bought of ebay 2 days before, my arse was so sore that next day i had to ride the 16 miles back to rhyl train station stood up.

Mike_P

Guru
Should not worry about what you look like in lycra as worse examples will exist, saw a guy with the largest beer belly possible squeezed into a yellow jersey the other week:eek:. As per tommaguzzi wear what is most comfortable/practicable for the ride. I would not wear lycra for a ride into town or to work as that's less than 2 miles but a hour or two or three battling the wind and numerous hills is a different matter if you are not going to end up with soaked clothing from sweat and having to expend far too much energy overcoming the wind drag from loose clothing. A pair of football shorts can be tucked in the jersey pocket for use in circumstances where their donning may be appropriate.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
View attachment 424112 This is part of my wee stash of cycling clothes
Your cycle clothing drawer is sooo tidy Mrs M! :ohmy: I just chuck my jerseys in the top of my wardrobe and search them out by colour recognition when i want them. Sometimes i have to pull the whole pile out to find the one i'm after.:blush:

Edit..No,i've just remembered. I do have my 4 merino wool jerseys in some order. I kind of fold them and keep them separate from the polyester/lycra ones. :angel:

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
My main issue with the ol' lycra is that cycling is a leisure activity for me and one of my other favourite leisure activities is stopping at the pub. I usually combine the two and no one who's had a drink or three wants to see me in skin tight pants. It's also the reason I have a bit of a gut.

Secondary reason is that after a few years out of the saddle me quads have shrunk to puny proportions and baggier shorts hide my shame!

I couldn't give a stuff. I dress to suit me, not anyone else. I don't have a problem pitching up at the pub in lycra if I've been on a ride, and if anyone else doesn't like it they can kiss my hairy (and lycra clad) arse. All the localish pubs I frequent on my rides are very accommodating to cyclists, and any other customers who may not like it are utterly irrelevant anyway.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
if anyone else doesn't like it they can kiss my hairy (and lycra clad) arse.
Oh my!:ohmy: :eek:

I had a few anti cyclists in my local,but thankfully they've been banned for being argumentative and constantly pissed up. Anyway,they once moaned at me going in there while wearing cycling gear,saying 'You shouldn't come in here wearing that sweaty clothing' blah blah. I told them i don't sweat much,especially in winter (it was about January) and also asked them what the feck it had to do with them anyway,seeing as one of the complainers was doing 'a blacky',which means you go straight to the pub after work wearing your work clothes. Now that's not bad if you work in an office or a shop,but this twonk worked in a scrap yard! Yes,his clothes were covered in engine oil! How bloody damn well did he have the cheek to complain about me i thought!:cursing:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Secondary reason is that after a few years out of the saddle me quads have shrunk to puny proportions and baggier shorts hide my shame!
Just stuff a pair of socks down there or maybe even a coke bottle.:becool: Just be careful you don't slip onto the top tube if you go for the coke bottle option!:eek:

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
Noooooooo !!!! Baggy shorts and t-shirts for me. My cycling shoes consist of Karrimor low cut hikers so I can mooch around without looking like I need to go to the toilet. I don't wear padding,just comfy underwear because I find both Brooks saddles take the strain even on 100 milers and the Spa Nid that came with my third bike ( Spa Steel Tourer ) also seems to take any strain so all is good there. No helmet as well,just a baseball cap to keep the rain/sun out of my eyes and keep my flowing locks of hair in place :laugh:
I must admit I did try some lycra, padded shorts but found them so uncomfortable and sweaty I soon gave them up,they still live somewhere in my wardrobe

simonali

Guru
Naturally my black leggings are lycra. (Special lycra that makes them a bit wrinkly)
But the beige baggy shorts I wear over my black leggings are not.
This combination makes me a style god.

Grunge band circa 1991!

pearl-jam-wallpaper-1991.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom