You'll never get me in Lycra...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I regard cycling as an activity to be done dressed in shabby cast off everyday clothing, just like DIY, car maintenance, and general messing around in the garden or out in the shed sort of stuff. So I just keep all the stuff that has become too faded and dog-eared for going out anywhere in, and use it for messing about, including cycling. I don't wear any lycra and nothing with padding. The only padded cycling items I have are the saddles on my bikes. I've even got several old pairs of work trousers and jeans that have become frayed at the hem because of wearing over boots, and I just cut these down above the knee and use them as shorts until they eventually fall apart and get ripped up as rags. No doubt I look like a tramp half the time, but I really don't give a toss.
All my stuff gets chucked in the washing machine together on a hot wash, I don't bugger around with different laundry regimes, apart from separating new stuff in strong colours that might run at first.

screenman

Legendary Member
I regard cycling as an activity to be done dressed in shabby cast off everyday clothing, just like DIY, car maintenance, and general messing around in the garden or out in the shed sort of stuff. So I just keep all the stuff that has become too faded and dog-eared for going out anywhere in, and use it for messing about, including cycling. I don't wear any lycra and nothing with padding. The only padded cycling items I have are the saddles on my bikes. I've even got several old pairs of work trousers and jeans that have become frayed at the hem because of wearing over boots, and I just cut these down above the knee and use them as shorts until they eventually fall apart and get ripped up as rags. No doubt I look like a tramp half the time, but I really don't give a toss.
All my stuff gets chucked in the washing machine together on a hot wash, I don't bugger around with different laundry regimes, apart from separating new stuff in strong colours that might run at first.

Your choice, which is what makes us all that have one very lucky.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Anyway, my expanding collection has at least in part been through necessity; I follow the 20deg wash with no softener instructions on the labels and don't like putting a nearly empty machine on. Nor do I like wearing the same item more than once before washing it because, well, that seems a bit gross.
Most of it is cheap stuff; the commuting tops were £8 each but do the job... I havent spent a fortune on it. The club kit was by far the priciest but to be fair its also the best fitting and has the nicest bum-pad... :shy:

That's my thinking too, don't want my kit washing at 40deg+ with other things & conditioner in too :blush: & I do tend to sweat a little, so after 2 or 3 hours riding I wouldn't fancy wearing the same kit again.
My kit all started off as cheap stuff from Aldi & the bay etc & it was fine, but I now have some more expensive bits of kit that I wouldn't want ruining, so the OH leaves all my kit for me to deal with now, usually have a full machine load after a week to 10 days, so need enough kit to last that many days ^_^

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I like nice, well made and stylish cycling clothes which after I've worn them a large number of times look just right for the shabby chic look.

freiston

Veteran
I returned to cycling after many years with very little cycling. Previously, I had one pair of padded longs which were worn on jaunts over 50 miles (the padding was a 'Polartec' fleece insert which was bought separately and sewn into the longs I already had) and non cycling specific tops. Shoes and cape were cycling specific. In the wilderness years, I had a pair of longs of the Tudor Sports style. When I rediscovered cycling, I went out and bought a few lycra tops and shorts, wore them a few times and didn't bother again. My walking t-shirts do fine and I sometimes wear padded under-shorts under my regular trousers. I have the shoes and a couple of jackets (waterproof and/or windproof) and I'm thinking of buying some stuff from Tudor Sports but the typical lycra stuff doesn't do it for me.

Lycra can come across as part of the "cycling is the new golf" culture.

simonali

Guru
I have several pairs of Assos shorts that I've not braved squeezing back into yet and am still wearing baggy Endura ones that cost about one fifth of the price. As the Assos jobs are really old I just hope the elasticky bits haven't rotted coz rubber perishes innit!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I see people who do not wear the clothing invented for the job as missing out on it.
brighton_lady_cyclist.jpg

I'm sure you'd be extremely comfortable in tweed plus-fours with a bolero jacket tied at the waist.

costume5.jpg

Or in a nice skirt costume.

Personally I tailor my clothing to maximise comfort and convenience, and to look reasonably good. When a bike ride is a short part of a journey to work, a well-fitting suit (Man at M&S, natch) is perfect. When I'm doing a longer ride I'll choose lycra. For a bimble it might be a pair of jeans.

And by their post earlier in the thread...
Mod Note:
Let's cut the laddish banter, stay on topic.
Thank you.
I assume that at least one of the mods has a pair of red patent leather high-heeled maryjanes which he wears on the pull on a lads' night out. Not my idea of a pratical shoe for getting to the club on a bike, but if it works for him, whyever not?

freiston

Veteran
I see people who do not wear the clothing invented for the job as missing out on it.
Regarding lycra cycle-clothing - then "yes" up to a point - the truth is that a lot of clothing is very suitable for cycling and can be worn with comfort off the bike as well as on. Also, skin-tight lycra isn't the only cycling-specific clothing available and, competitive cycling aside, skin-tight lycra clothing isn't necessary and could be deemed less appropriate for the off-bike parts of an excursion.

screenman

Legendary Member
Regarding lycra cycle-clothing - then "yes" up to a point - the truth is that a lot of clothing is very suitable for cycling and can be worn with comfort off the bike as well as on. Also, skin-tight lycra isn't the only cycling-specific clothing available and, competitive cycling aside, skin-tight lycra clothing isn't necessary and could be deemed less appropriate for the off-bike parts of an excursion.

Is off the bike cycling?

Top Bottom