You'll never get me in Lycra...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
...one of the mods has a pair of red patent leather high-heeled maryjanes which he wears on the pull on a lads' night out.
We've met, have we? :biggrin:

There was a time before lycra was even thought of:-

1967-club-run-jpg.jpg

This was one of my first club runs from 1967.
Technically, spandex was 9 years old by then, but I get your point.:okay:

I prefer the merino or mixed fabric jerseys
Any "lycra" clothing is mixed. Lycra typically makes much less than 10% of the fabric. What we generally refer to as "lycra" is probably a polyester/spandex blend. I think pure lycra is rather like rubber, but I have never heard of fabric made from it.

But again, I know what you mean: lycra blended with a natural rather than man-made fibre.

simonali

Guru
I've just bought some collar-less polo shirts with button up pockets at the back that will hopefully disguise me pot belly!

My baggy shorts have pockets in, but I always get paranoid that my phone or keys will fly out when spinning the pedals quickly.

freiston

Veteran
Is off the bike cycling?
It can often be part of a cycling excursion and part of the pastime. For me, cycling is not about head-down thrashing on a race-type machine (or even looking the part), it is not about timings, the latest equipment and personal bests. For me, it is hardly ever about those things but other elements of an excursion such as a cafe or pub visit, or a look around some local site of interest are part of the cycling experience.

And I do sometimes use the bike with panniers for trips to the supermarket ;).

screenman

Legendary Member
It can often be part of a cycling excursion and part of the pastime. For me, cycling is not about head-down thrashing on a race-type machine (or even looking the part), it is not about timings, the latest equipment and personal bests. For me, it is hardly ever about those things but other elements of an excursion such as a cafe or pub visit, or a look around some local site of interest are part of the cycling experience.

And I do sometimes use the bike with panniers for trips to the supermarket ;).

Choices again, head down and bottom up for me, not what I would call it though. Not about looking the part, just wearing what suits my style of cycling.

I also never swim in baggy shorts.

My cycling wardrobe consists of:
One pair of Halfords shorts, with real champs pad, vintage 2000
Similarly ancient Halfords jersey. Jersey still very good, shorts probably not going to last too many more decades...
Two pairs of the cheapest padded shorts I could get from Go Outdoors, 17 squids for both, a few months back.

Erm, that's it...

:biggrin:

simonali

Guru
My main issue with the ol' lycra is that cycling is a leisure activity for me and one of my other favourite leisure activities is stopping at the pub. I usually combine the two and no one who's had a drink or three wants to see me in skin tight pants. It's also the reason I have a bit of a gut.

Secondary reason is that after a few years out of the saddle me quads have shrunk to puny proportions and baggier shorts hide my shame!

screenman

Legendary Member
My cycling wardrobe consists of:
One pair of Halfords shorts, with real champs pad, vintage 2000
Similarly ancient Halfords jersey. Jersey still very good, shorts probably not going to last too many more decades...
Two pairs of the cheapest padded shorts I could get from Go Outdoors, 17 squids for both, a few months back.

Erm, that's it...

:biggrin:

If that is all you want to own then it is perfect.

screenman

Legendary Member
My main issue with the ol' lycra is that cycling is a leisure activity for me and one of my other favourite leisure activities is stopping at the pub. I usually combine the two and no one who's had a drink or three wants to see me in skin tight pants. It's also the reason I have a bit of a gut.

Secondary reason is that after a few years out of the saddle me quads have shrunk to puny proportions and baggier shorts hide my shame!

So, in reality lycra is not the problem.^_^

Top Bottom