Your all time favorite books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
@Fab Foodie

Great book and I found it a moving read. I can still hear Bronowski's from the TV series. Early 70's I think.
Really fired my young imagination ... And I must fix that typo!

Oh no!

This thread is going to Descend into one of those 'I'm better educated and more widely read than you' type threads.

Better move it into the Politics area.

My picks are:

The Cantebury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
Ulysses by James Joyce
The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
Oh, and anything by Lee Child. :biggrin:

Graham

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
Oh, and anything by Lee Child. :biggrin:

Graham

I have only read one Lee Child book (Killing Floor) and didn't rate it at all, it just seemed like the central character was this super hard guy who was always going to win in the end anyway. Perhaps if I read more I would get into them.

There are so many books I think it is extremely difficult to name one you love most, if you asked me one day to the next I would probably give different answers, but today, these spring to mind:

The Virgin Soldiers, Leslie Thomas - when I was at school in the 1970s, this was a sensation amongst my 15 year old mates and myself, mainly because it was a bit saucy in places.

In Harm's Way, Doug Stanton - an account of what happened to the USS Indianapolis and its crew as it returned from delivering the atomic bomb that was dropped on Hiroshima, to the US airbase from where it flew.

Taken on Trust - Terry Waite's autobiography, and I have a personally signed copy.

Playing Extra Time, Alan Ball - the autobiography of my all time footballing hero, brought me to tears as he described his wife's dying days and how she encouraged him to go to Goodison Park to participate in a presentation rather than stay at her bedside. I was at the match which teh book referred to and remembered him coming onto the pitch for the presentation, little did I realise until I read that book, what he was going through as I applauded him and other former players.....oh no, I'm at it again :-(

Resurrection, Leo Tolstoy - a surprisingly easily flowing story.

Any Human Heart, William Boyd - a superb diary style account of one man's life.

Last edited:

Smithbat

Getting there, one ride at a time.
Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
A History of Britain - Simon Schama
A Walk in the Woods - Bill Bryson
Mud Sweat and Gears - Ellie Bennett

OP
OP
YahudaMoon

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Primo Levi - If This is a Man / The Truce
George Orwell - Essays

Ordered, I read one of Levi's diary's some years back, disturbing ain't the word, it was his account on the concentration camp in Auschwitz, cant remember the book title

Thanks

Can I also recommend George Orwell's. The road to Wigan Pier

OP
OP
YahudaMoon

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas - Hunter S Thompson

Reading that at the moment lol

The dress code makes me want

Levo-Lon

Guru
[QUOTE 4327202, member: 259"]I'd got all snobby about those, despite having read them as a teenager and loving them, but I read the Throwback recently and it's really funny.

By the way, do you remember that TV series of Blott on the Landscape? I know it existed but nobody else I know seems to have watched it.[/QUOTE]

im not the greatest of book readers.., parts of that book are so difficult to read as the tears and uncontrolled laughing make focusing impossible..

Blott? Yes i think i can but i think it was a 1 hr series thing.. wilt seems to spring to mind..

riotous assembly...Els and that gun

Last edited:

Roadhump

Time you enjoyed wasting was not wasted
My wife's reading group (average age: 60 if not 70; 100% female; common connection: parish church and living in Surrey) chose, for some inexplicable reason, Riotous Assembly a couple of months ago. She kept me awake with her laughter one evening when I was trying to go to sleep, and lo and behold, it was Constable Ells....
I have read most of Tom Sharpe's books and know so well about the sudden uncontrollable laughter. I remember reading them while my wife was trying to watch TV, she hated it because she would be engrossed, trying to follow her programme when I would suddenly burst into fits of laughter that made my stomach ache. I would never have read them on a train or somewhere else in public.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Lord of the Rings - Read it several times

IT - Stephen King - read this as a teeanger and it blew me away, daren't read it again just in case it isn't the same - the tv series they made was bloody awful.

Bravo Two Zero - Andy McNab - True story of the SAS in Iraq - read this I don't know how many times, same with Immediate Action which was his follow up book

Top Bottom