Your all time favorite books

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

perplexed

Guru
All time favourites, blimey...

Off the top of my head:

Tess of the D'Urbervilles/Return of the Native/Far from the Madding Crowd - Hardy
Christine - Stephen King
Any of the Shardlake stories - Sanssom
Any of the Virgil Flowers/Lucas Davenport books - Stanforth
The Odyssey - Homer
The 'Millennium Trilogy - Larsson
The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy series - Douglas Adams

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
All time favourites, blimey...

Off the top of my head:

Tess of the D'Urbervilles/Return of the Native/Far from the Madding Crowd - Hardy
Christine - Stephen King
Any of the Shardlake stories - Sanssom
Any of the Virgil Flowers/Lucas Davenport books - Stanforth
The Odyssey - Homer
The 'Millennium Trilogy - Larsson
The Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy series - Douglas Adams

Christine and HGTG - read those several times as well.

RedRider

Pulling through
Collections of short stories are some of my favourite books so Twelve Pilgrims by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and The Madman and Other Stories by Nikolai Gogol to name just two intended to make me sound more cultured than I am. Also collections of Jack London and Guy De Maupassant and Katherine Mansfield.
I love Decline and Fall by Evelyn Waugh, What a Carve Up!, Towards the End of the Morning by Michael Frayn, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Grapes of Wrath, a collection of poetry edited by Seamus Heaney and Ted Hughes called The Rattlebag, Whitsun Weddings Larkin.
Manchild in the Promised Land by Claude Brown, The Rider by Krabbe.
My dad read the Hobbit to me as a bedtime story so goblins, ogres and dwarves are linked with the taste of spearmint toothpaste (Crest), I love that book.
Loads of the above I've only read once / not for years but I still love/havw loved them. I don't read nearly enough these days.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
[QUOTE 4327202, member: 259"]
By the way, do you remember that TV series of Blott on the Landscape? I know it existed but nobody else I know seems to have watched it.[/QUOTE]

You are not alone, David Suchet, Geraldine James and Co. That was a long time ago now, I thought it was great.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I tend to read once and move on, theres always something new out there that catches my eye, I've lots of half read books on my Kindle & shelves

Books I've gone back to time and again really are only Douglas Adams, Joseph Heller's Catch 22 and some of the short story collections of James Thurber.

rugby bloke

Veteran
My all time favourites
Iain M. Banks - The culture novels - nothing comes close to these for a galaxy spanning sequence - simply stunning.

This would be my choice as well. Just love these books.

Oh no! This thread is going to Descend into one of those 'I'm better educated and more widely read than you' type threads. Better move it into the Politics area.

Right, let's get things back on track and go the other way.

My first favourite book series was about Fingerling, an adventurous gnome. Then Rupert the Bear, and finally Tintin.

They made a deep impression (and long-lasting damage) on me.

Top Bottom