Your birth town.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Pride seems like a odd word. I have a great affection for my home town, and it's a great city, but pride is something I reserve for my own accomplishments and that of my loved ones, not the population or location I was random born into.
There is personal pride as your quote says and pride of your origins as it makes you who you are.

There is personal pride as your quote says and pride of your origins as it makes you who you are.
Not for me. Pride in the place you are born is as nonsensical as being proud that your home team wins. I know just about everyone in the world feels this, and I don't get it. Just because their stadium is in the same city I live in, I don't see why I am entitled to a feeling of pride when they win. This goes all the way up. I don't care if either of my countries does well in the olympics.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Born in London but grew up in Hemel Hempstead, a town I still recognise shaping my youth by allowing pubs to serve anyone able to reach the bar, and not minding about the large groups of schoolchildren drinking pitchers of Wetherspoons cocktails and being raucous in the corner.

Of course if you wanted a posh night out you had to go to Watford. Quite possible people from Hemel Hempstead are the only ones to describe a visit to Watford as "posh".

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I was born in Gloucester and my parents left soon after (with me). I drove through it a few years ago and it didn't look great. It always reminds me of a dodgy builder burying bodies under his patio. No pride at all.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
I dunno. The people of Hatfield regard Hemel as aspirational!
We have quite a lot in common with them: we have a Magic Roundabout which is rather lacking in magic and Hatfield has a Comet Roundabout which has not been visited by a comet. The comet one is more tragic because I imagine a comet strike would greatly improve Hatfield.

toffee

Guru
Funny enough I left my home town in '87 but I am back tonight visiting my folks. Wouldn't move back again though as it doesn't feel like home.

Top Bottom