Your birth town.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
After William the Conquerer gave Hastings a kicking, he moved East into Kent. The men to the East of the Medway weren't having it, so these big old farmer boys stood their ground. William looks at these fellers armed only with farm implements and cutlery and decided that they really meant business, so he struck a deal - if they accepted him as their King he would leave the Men of Kent alone to run their own affairs.

The Men of Kent agreed and went back to their fields. However, the Kentish Men in the west weren't so bold, and William raped and slaughtered his way through the western side of the county.

To this day to be a Man of Kent is considered an honour in the county, whereas to be a Kentish man is to be a bit of a 2nd class citizen, a cowardly weakling, at least among the older population. The yoof have little regard for history or tradition, and the convention is dying out. Nevertheless, to be both a Man of Kent and a Lord makes me a very important person indeed ;)

Last edited:

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
cheer.gif
Go Hillingdon!
cheer.gif

29_big.jpg

Glenn

Veteran
My birth town and home town are 2 different places, I have no connection to either. My parents moved the family 300 miles west when I was 7 so I grew up in the countyside, the next house was about 400yds away.

My hometown hase declined in so many ways in my 44 years, and TBH I would be away from here in a shot if it weren't for family ties.

Once the inevitable happens with Grandparents and parents I will seriously consider a full on relocation.
Out of interest, where to? I know bolton a bit. Agree that it has seen better days. A damn impressive town hall -always wonder what fills it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Born and brought up in Manchester, left at 17 to join the RAF. I haven't really been back for any length of time since, save for short business trips. I'm not so keen on the place any more, but I enjoyed my childhood growing up in Burnage and Didsbury.

D

Deleted member 1258

Born in Sudbury Suffolk, left when I was two and moved to Folkestone Kent, joined the navy at sixteen, lived in Gosport for a couple of years then moved back to Folkestone. In 1973 I moved into Coventry and have lived here since, effectively I've come to think of Coventry as my home city. I've only been back to Sudbury once for a day trip and haven't visited Folkestone for over twenty years.

Top Bottom