Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flick of the Elbow
Thousands of pink footed geese in the fields as I rode home tonight, way more than I've see all winter, perhaps the ones wintering further south have started moving north ? Or of course it could just be that with the longer days they are still in the fields at my going home time. Whatever, they were a great sight tonight.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
This morning I had to apologise to a cyclist after I was distracted at the MOD entrance and drifted towards them when a squirrel (boring grey one I'm afraid), scampered past people waiting at the gate and the security guard to scuttle into the MOD site. He didn't seem to show any form of ID unlike the other people waiting to go in the gate.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
The same Snowy Owl three days in a row seen from the ferry: either sitting on the ice looking up as we pass or trundling along on foot, or as this morning, quartering in front of the boat before sweeping off into the white morning air, almost invisible on suprisingly wide wings. My favourite bird.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Watched the wood mice in the garden while making breakfast. They live in and behind the compost bins and come out to steal the food I put out for the birds. They creep out cautiously and when they have something to eat they race back to safety with it.

Tommy2

Über Member
Saw about 6-8 Herron (I think they're Herron) at whilst driving past the bottom field at harewood today, I've never seen that many at once, sometimes see the odd one flying high above the road but it's rare.
shame I was in a rush and there isn't anywhere to stop as I would have liked to have a better look and take a photo.

[QUOTE 3571816, member: 9609"]they will never (or at least I have never seen it) be together at the waters edge[/QUOTE]
sorry to say this but if you go to the Isle of Skye and simply drive along the coast road at the right time of day, you will see them lined up less than 10m apart in their tens...I guess it is just a good fishing ground and they tolerate each other's presence.
I have also seen 3 like this along the canal I (used to) frequently cycle... 2 less than 5m apart and then about 20m away another one. all fishing.

Tommy2

Über Member
they were at the edge of a field where the woods start (they were just under the trees) where the grass is a bit boggy and has a bit of a beck looking affair next to it.

Tommy2

Über Member
The wife took this today
IMG_2474.JPG

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
The science staff at school were wild with rage today after being told by a deputy head from another school, recruited to advise on improvements, that they:
  • Did not care about the pupils
  • Didn't know their subject
  • Were failing the pupils and the school
  • Talked to much about themselves.
I predict a riot....

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Riding along the tow path this morning in the centre of Leicester, I was going under a bridge as a swan came along and made a perfect landing into the canal bang under the bridge. Couple of weeks ago some council blokes were trying to catch one that tried to do the same and clipped the bridge.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
[QUOTE 3570915, member: 9609"]hunting above the water ?

It's a bird I would love to see.[/QUOTE]

Well, above the ice! The lake is completely frozen for over 3 months of the year where we are, except for the ferry path. According the guys who work on the ferry, this particular Snowy Owl (or perhaps pair) waits for the occasional tired duck that fails to get out of the way of the ferry. It's so beautiful: the closest I 've seen it was about a couple of metres away as it was sitting on the ice just beyond the ferry path. It swivelled its head and looked straight at me. We have quite a number of Snowy Owls on the island in the winter but I've never seen them as clearly and frequently as this year.

Top Bottom