Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
According to Cambridgeshire Bird Club reports there have been sightings around here this week, so it's not impossible....

http://cbcwhatsabout.blogspot.com/

EDIT- My tired brain is thinking Merlin, which is my addled head.... but could it be a Merlin?

The Werrington one with 2 waxwing. There were a few out looking for these Sunday..

About 4 year ago we had a flock..
Same place, first time I've seen them here, apparently a rare event.

Lovely sight

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Right, birders, help me out here. I have twice recently seen what I think is a Hobby. A small raptor, definitely not a sparrowhawk or kestrel, flitting around in a highly manoeuvrable manner along a quiet and wooded country lane...........grey underneath, maybe striped, and a flash of blue/ grey on top. Longish tail for its size. Now, that sounds like a Hobby to me, but they're not supposed to be here now. Could it have been something else? If a Hobby, why is it here at this time of year?
The most likely by far are sparrowhawk or kestrel. But if you're certain it wasn't one of those you're down to less common species.
Goshawk is way too big, peregrine too. Hobby would be extremely unlikely in midwinter. So you're down to a choice of one....Merlin.

Merlins are little, about the size of a blackbird

MikeG

Guru
Absolutely definitely not sparrowhawk or kestrel. They're every-day birds for me. It was smaller than them.....reminded me more of a thrush.

I'm putting that down in pencil as a merlin then. Thanks folks. Much appreciated.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Has anyone built a (successful) nest box for a bird of prey ?

Don't know if this counts as wildlife as a bloke in the village keeps them in a paddock next to his house, but he appeared only too happy to be photographed.

IMG_20190208_122505042.jpg

Top Bottom