Your day's wildlife

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
The Peregrines are back at the central Cambridge nest site on the Pitt Building. Lots of food passes and plenty of noise when the two of them are there

4633E2CF-EC22-428B-8DCD-9A58BBBBD276.jpeg

gbb

Legendary Member
An urban fox skulked out of the roadside, saw our car coming and disappeared back whence it came....with one rear leg obviously injured, it wouldn't put its weight on it (in the 5 seconds I saw it )

Later in the day....several red kite, one right over our urban estate. You're as likely to see one round here as almost anything else.

philk56

Guru
So I know what the first one is, Kookaburra, right?

View attachment 452116

But I don't know what these are. They're everywhere and really tame. Hopping onto tables to pinch scraps

View attachment 452117

Edit: Sydney Botanical Gardens
As others have said, an Australian White Ibis. Due to loss of much of their natural environment they have successfully (some may say too successfully) adapted to urban life, leading to a variety of nicknames, such as Bin Chicken. Having lived in both East and West Australia it's interesting that in the West they are much less visible on the streets, probably due to a larger abundance of natural wetlands that will hopefully continue.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
My first butterfly of the year, I think
Red admiral

I saw one, rather incongruously, in the middle of London today near Chancery Lane

albal

Guru
[QUOTE 5544258, member: 9609"]never seen a bald eagle but believe they are the same size as a Golden Eagle which I have seen many times - and yes they are big birds, sometimes people will say "I wasn't sure if it was an eagle or a buzzard" which means it would have been a Buzzard - because the one distinctive feature of an Eagle is its sheer size.

Where did you see it, was it hunting on the water ?[/QUOTE]
Golden Eagle has a larger wingspan than the bald Eagle. Which I believe is the largest eagle.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
[QUOTE 5544258, member: 9609"]
Where did you see it, was it hunting on the water ?[/QUOTE]

Seemed to be. When it comes to the ferry sightings, both these eagles and the Snowy Owls we see frequently here in the winter have developed a strategy for getting the ducks that are too slow or tired to get out of the way of the ferry - there's only a narrow ice-free passage in the winter kept open by the ferry so the ducks don't have a lot of choice about where to hang out.

Have you moved house?

No, or at least not recently. We moved to Ontario from Newcastle in 2009. Had a year in Tokyo 2013-14, but apart from that we've been here the whole time, although we have built a new house.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I have registered and recorded it.
The first one near me was spotted on the 11th of Feb.
I know that some red admirals overwinter here so can appear on a warm winter's day but not sure if they then survive a cold snap.
I was stunned to see one last year on a South facing sunlit wall when it was 0° outside. It was the first week in January.

albal

Guru
Cancelled boat trip due to fog this a.m. - black redstart spotted nr Quay was a consolation . Not my picture. Tho same location .

Wandered alone on the north harbour and spotted : shovelor black wit pochard redshank curlew pintail teal shelduck bh gull .

Attachments

• IMG_20190222_184700.jpg
    IMG_20190222_184700.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Top Bottom